Cochin Thread!!!

Hi I have a question, I'm getting some Cochin chicks in three weeks and i was hoping to have 3 hens and a roo ( so i can breed them and raise the chicks) but my mom doesn't want a roo if he is going g to be really noisy, my question is how noisy are Cochin roos? ( on a scale from 1-10?)

Most roosters are noisy. i got used to the sound very quickly. But i did do some sound proofing in their run, to keep the early morning noises to a minimum.
I wonder though if you only have one roo, maybe he would sound off a little less often. I've noticed that my roos appear to challenge each other so when one starts, they all get into it.

Hi I have a question, I'm getting some Cochin chicks in three weeks and i was hoping to have 3 hens and a roo ( so i can breed them and raise the chicks) but my mom doesn't want a roo if he is going g to be really noisy, my question is how noisy are Cochin roos? ( on a scale from 1-10?)
Depends a lot on the rooster's personality how much he crows. Seems like the more hormones/feistiness a rooster has, the more he crows. Our first rooster crowed every time a breeze blew or constantly when my husband was around. The super friendly and calm one we have now probably only crows 3-4 times when he first comes out of the coop, and very rarely throughout the day.
Our closest neighbors say they can only hear him when their windows are open in the summer and they live right across the street from us. I would say they slightly quieter crows than your loudest large fowl.

Not saying they are noisy. Just that all roosters can be. They are quieter then large fowl. I built an enclosure around my run, put my coops against a wall and the windows at an angle away from the windows and my neighbours.

Quote:
noise? what noise?
wink.png

then again, I've got 4 dorking roos, the EE, 1 bantam and 1 LF blue laced red 'dotte... then there's the 2 mille fleur -, 1 blue mottled -, 2 red -, 1 silver laced - bantam cochins, oh and 3 Swedish flower hen roos...

I hear roos occasionally. probably the most annoying is my bantam blrw. he' gets into a 'bagawk-fest' and will not stop! the littlest thing sets him off. hubby calls him the 'little old lady' for all his complaining he does.
lau.gif

even with all these guys, and the doors open during the day, I work from home and only really notice it when they come up to the door and crow in, telling me they are absolutely starving to death and wasting away to nothing. LOL at which point, I usually tell them they'll live till it's dinner time. go find some bugs to eat. and then slam the door in their faces. I probably wouldn't have made a good mother to 'skin kids'. LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom