Cochin Thread!!!

Quote:
I've been worrying about the same things, even thought of bedding everyone down in straw and covering them over with a blanket for the night. Sounds kinda crazy but, I'm trying to think of new ways to keep them warm. I feed warm scrambled eggs at night before dark, helps keep them warm throughout the night.

I know Cochins are hardy but 20 below! I really think the adults can handle it especially with all the extras you gave them. The youngsters might need to come inside. Don't forget your coops still need some ventilation. It is cold and humidity that leads to frostbite. Chickens can put out a lot of heat; litttle ovens.
Here in Oklahoma it is the summer heat that is hard for fluffy birds like Cochins. We don't often get too far below zero here but the wind chill can be pretty brutal. I hopeyour birds are fine, I worry alot

Here's my new hen ! Just got her & her husband tonight LOL ! This isn't a very good pic, it was taken on my cell. Better pics coming tomorrow!
167792_10150126933859134_630754133_7628571_1285788_n.jpg

Her name is Juliette & the rooster is Romeo.
smile.png

Quote:
I've been worrying about the same things, even thought of bedding everyone down in straw and covering them over with a blanket for the night. Sounds kinda crazy but, I'm trying to think of new ways to keep them warm. I feed warm scrambled eggs at night before dark, helps keep them warm throughout the night.

Thats a great idea ! I will feed them scrambled eggs tonight, it should be colder tonight around our parts. I'm off to check on there toes now ! How did yours fare the night?

Quote:

Thats a great idea ! I will feed them scrambled eggs tonight, it should be colder tonight around our parts. I'm off to check on there toes now ! How did yours fare the night?

Thankfully it warmed up to 20 degrees last night, better than 7 the night before. Everyone is doing really well and eating like crazy (I give them all they want) Feeding them good is all I can really think of. I also give them supplements in their water too. Just make sure they always have water to drink. I give them luke warm water too. My youngsters are in a brooder box under a light.

I was thinking more on the blanket thing, what if you made walls with bales of straw and hung the blanket over top, that way they have ventilation, their bodies should keep in pretty warm in there! I'm just thinking of temporary ideas for when it gets this darn cold.
In some of my pens, I set up cardboard boxes, like an enclosed nesting box I guess, filled in a bed of straw and they love it, I have 3 - 4 birds per pen and they get in there at night, the box keeps their heat in a little better.

Just a few ideas... hope they help
hu.gif
Just count down the days days till spring!!

Quote:
I'm going to do the warm oatmeal tonight!

I hate this super cold weather....wish I could bring all my birds in the house where it's 65-70 degrees

But they all seem to be doing OK and there's a 100 watt light in each pen over a perch where they can get warm.

I do think that plenty of water and nice, dry shavings in the pens helps.

love.gif

Back
Top Bottom