Cochin Thread!!!

Samouw: Butterbean and Miss Buttercup are darling with their crazy hair dos!!

This is one of my new black cockerels that is going into with my splash hens to improve type. He does have some black on his beak and feet, how big a problem is that going to be? The two splash hens have proper foot/beak coloring. The other black cockerel has a nicer comb but this fella has much better overall type. I apologize for not having a better picture, there is definitely an art to photographing chickens, especially on a windy day!

Also, on a side note. Does anyone have any bantam buff cochin hatching eggs they might consider shipping? I have looked at the breeders list and it is very short so I am assuming it is going to be hard to find someone who will sell a few eggs. I have 4 broody hens right now and have wanted to add buffs and thought this might be a great opportunity with my natural incubators running.
jumpy.gif
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Samouw: Butterbean and Miss Buttercup are darling with their crazy hair dos!!

This is one of my new black cockerels that is going into with my splash hens to improve type. He does have some black on his beak and feet, how big a problem is that going to be? The two splash hens have proper foot/beak coloring. The other black cockerel has a nicer comb but this fella has much better overall type. I apologize for not having a better picture, there is definitely an art to photographing chickens, especially on a windy day!

Also, on a side note. Does anyone have any bantam buff cochin hatching eggs they might consider shipping? I have looked at the breeders list and it is very short so I am assuming it is going to be hard to find someone who will sell a few eggs. I have 4 broody hens right now and have wanted to add buffs and thought this might be a great opportunity with my natural incubators running. :jumpy  Thanks in advance for any advice!

The beak is not an issue at all. If you ever figure out taking photos of chickens please let me know. I usually make good birds look less than they really are.

Oh I love those red frizzles! Nice hair!! lol glad they have each other now.

chicken pictures are hard~make sure you resize them to 500 X porportion ~by pixlr or picnik (free sites) before you put on BYC because BYC doesnt porportion them right and they look how woulsd I say that (not rightly porportioned as the bird is)

I think You have a very beautiful black cochin there.

I have been thinking about what you said Mr Ree and am thinking maybe I should get one of those varieties to work on. A laced one would be harder but they are pretty.( I hope Rocky got a good home)

That birchen is pretty too lilcrow. What do the roos look like?

Last edited:
Thank you Black Cochin Bantams! I will let you know on the photography, I don't think I did this boy any justice!! Good to know about the beak coloring, wasn't sure on that and was so thrilled with the pics of him when I purchased him I didn't even notice the coloration on his beak but I have seen several nice blacks with the same beak color.

Which Birchen pic are you referring to? It's been a while since I've posted any so I'm not sure which one you're looking at.

Oh  I love those red frizzles!     Nice hair!!  lol  glad they have each other now.  

chicken pictures are hard~make sure you resize them to 500 X porportion ~by pixlr or picnik (free sites) before you put on BYC because BYC doesnt porportion them right and they look how woulsd I say that (not rightly porportioned as the bird is)

I think You have a very beautiful black cochin there.

I have been thinking about what you said Mr Ree and am thinking maybe I should get one of those varieties to work on. A laced one would be harder but they are pretty.( I hope Rocky got a good home)

That birchen is pretty too lilcrow. What do the roos look like?

Do any of you who breed Mottled bantams have a picture of a "Splash" Mottled chick or adult that could result from breeding Blue Mott x Blue Mott? I would appreciate a pic if there is one out there.

Clare

That's awesome!! I am definitely going to try this! :) I didn't know that you could do that.

it seems to be pretty reliable in cochins. i sex mine when i put on wing bands at several days old. just checked them again at 3-4 weeks and didn't have to change any sexes in my records :)

Back
Top Bottom