Cochin Thread!!!

Well Craig, I am in your boat of pain. I left to do errands yesterday and when I returned home one of our dogs had dug out of the backyard and killed eight cockerels being grown out for butcher, one of my favorite splash cochin roos, two of my precious turkeys and a cayuga drake. It was horrifying. I have lost one bird now and then and it has been terrible but to experience that kind of carnage is a whole different kind of pain and such a waste of life. I am going to go cry into my soup now.
So sorry for you loss. I know how you feel. Two months ago I had to take my wife to the emergency room. I was in a hurry and my Royal palms didn't want go in the coop. When we arrived home at 3 am, they we dead. I think it was a bobcat. That was a really bad night.

Charlie

Thanks guys. I'm stumped on her color too. I think she is beautiful, but I dont know what to call her color. She isnt splash...she isnt Colombian...I dont know what she is!
She looks alot like the "Calico" chicks from my Mottled/Mille Fleur roo that had white down. He passed the light down color on. They are very pretty birds but don't help the Mille Fleur project at all. She will be very pretty and probably covered in pattern.

Okay I'm going to be picking out two cochin pullets from 5 or six cochin chicks, they are 3-4 months old. What is the best way to tell for this age range other than color?

So sorry for you loss. I know how you feel. Two months ago I had to take my wife to the emergency room. I was in a hurry and my Royal palms didn't want go in the coop. When we arrived home at 3 am, they we dead. I think it was a bobcat. That was a really bad night.

Charlie
Thank you all for kind words. It helps to have chicken folks who appreciate how painful it is to lose birds. Charlie, I am so sorry about your turkeys. These were my first turkeys and now I only have one left (I have some young RPs in the brooder) but they are the sweetest birds ever. My cochins and turkeys are my favorites. Chatty little buggers. Thanks again all.

She looks alot like the "Calico" chicks from my Mottled/Mille Fleur roo that had white down. He passed the light down color on. They are very pretty birds but don't help the Mille Fleur project at all. She will be very pretty and probably covered in pattern.
Thank you for the info. I think she is going to be pretty. She has the greatest personality as well. Question too since I saw gender being brought up, I'm still thinking she is a pullet, but I'm questioning that seeing the pics someone else put up of cockerels that appear to be about the same age. She has zero wattles and absolutely no red to her comb, and she seems very "fuzzy" to my when compared to my polish chick of the same age, but I don't know if that is breed or a gender thing. Any further tips to determining gender? Also...someone asked, and she doesn't have silkie toes. She has just 4. :)

Back
Top Bottom