Cochins passing pure blood - Cocci Kills

It's a hard lesson to learn. I don't think the strain on my farm is overly deadly, as I've brought home different birds, different chicks, raised chicks on my own and put them out, etc. and those 4 nearly grown pullets were the only issue I ever had with coccidiosis. Just being an unfamiliar strain is enough to do it, apparently. We live, we learn.

What would you think if you saw a poop like this:
DSCN8561 (Large).JPG
Yesterday I noticed one of my little cockerels looking a little depressed so I brought him in and this is what he pooped.

It is possible they have necrotic enteritis instead of cocci...in which case they won't respond to the Corid. More info from http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/2/Coccidiosis Management/43/symptoms-and-diagnosis/
The type and location of lesions in the gut indicates the species of Eimeria.

• Eimeria acervulina affects the upper part of the small intestine. You may see small red spots and white bands on it.
  • Eimeria maxima affects the entire small intestine. The intestines look watery, and in later stages have blood and mucus. The intestine may look thickened and ballooned with red pinpoint lesions.
  • Eimeria tenella affects the blind sacs (ceca) of the gut. They may be filled with blood and pus and turn into a solid core.

Back
Top Bottom