Cochins passing pure blood - Cocci Kills

This is probably why they died so quickly. They had no tolerance. I purposefully expose my birds to dirt from a young age so they build up a tolerance. I've never had an issue with coccidiosis.

I think it is @lazy gardener who puts grass and soil plugs in her brooder to get the chicks accustomed to it.
I put dirt...on day zero.
Before the chicks arrive in my brooder.

This is probably why they died so quickly. They had no tolerance. I purposefully expose my birds to dirt from a young age so they build up a tolerance. I've never had an issue with coccidiosis.

I think it is @lazy gardener who puts grass and soil plugs in her brooder to get the chicks accustomed to it.
That helps along with letting them go out every once in a while.

They can also make it if you wait until they are nearly full grown before they go out too but that would not be something we do often on BYC.

One other thing though is that there are a lot of strains of coccidiosis and some are very deadly. I suspect that this is a deadly strain and the breeds are not resistant to it.

Even with exposure, some will still get sick if the bad strains are present so they need to be watched for the symptoms: hunching down, statue standing and they get a look to them that says they are in pain. If that is seen, Corid ASAP!

That helps along with letting them go out every once in a while.

They can also make it if you wait until they are nearly full grown before they go out too but that would not be something we do often on BYC.

One other thing though is that there are a lot of strains of coccidiosis and some are very deadly. I suspect that this is a deadly strain and the breeds are not resistant to it.

Even with exposure, some will still get sick if the bad strains are present so they need to be watched for the symptoms: hunching down, statue standing and they get a look to them that says they are in pain. If that is seen, Corid ASAP!
Sigh. I can't do anything now.

Egg Man is camping at fair all week and nobody is really home often enough to give them a drench twice a day.
I already suspected that they had a deadly strain because prior to this I had never, ever lost a bird so fast to an illness that suddenly presented itself.

Sigh. I can't do anything now.

Egg Man is camping at fair all week and nobody is really home often enough to give them a drench twice a day.
I already suspected that they had a deadly strain because prior to this I had never, ever lost a bird so fast to an illness that suddenly presented itself.
Even once a day for corid liquid by dropper(drench) and fresh 2 tsp per gallon water should do it!

:fl

What is even better is if you can learn something and pay it forward...maybe talk to the lady and teach her something.
I think I will. She means good but I don't think she realizes that she is unintentionally harming her birds by keeping them in such a controlled environment.

Back
Top Bottom