Cockerel or pullet?

laurarose

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
I've posted this chicken before on here to see if she was a puller or not, got many people agreeing that's she's probably a pullet.

But now a month on I'm pretty sure she is a he! He/she is 6 months old now.

Let me know what you think!

He/she is a black Orpington cockerel crossed with a dark buff Columbian brahma mix

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi Laurarose

Seeing a picture of the whole bird from the side, rather than just a head shot would be helpful. Although if it is not crowing at 6 months old, unless you have more dominant male birds which are causing it to suppress it's voice, then I would expect you to see an egg laid quite soon.

Regards

Barbara

Sorry i meant to add more but phone was playing up!

I haven't ever heard her crow or attempt to, the only cockerel she is housed with is her dad who does chase her sometimes (only seen him do it twice). Her behaviour has seemed to have changed - she's the last one out of the coop and often hangs around inside when the other are outside.

I think I can see saddle feathers at the base of the tail, but maybe I'm wrong. Also the hen has a pea comb so would that affect the size of this chickens comb?

Last edited:
It looks to be a cockeral..
What is his attitude like?

Quiet, very tentative at times but very friendly. I think she/he's bottom of the pecking order. She used to be very quick to come out and see what treats they were getting or to get out and forage but she seems and lot more wary of everything.
Also yesterday when all the chickens were outside free ranging she was one her own for 90% of the time choosing not to follow the others.

Yes I think I see saddle feathers too now that you have posted more photos. Maybe just a shy, very late developing cockerel. Some of them just keep you guessing until the last moment. I'm going with cockerel too.

Yes he/she is getting me so confused!

We were convinced for a long time that it was a pullet from her behaviour and comb size/colour but more recently the shape and size have completely thrown that out the window.

He was our first and only chick to hatch and thought we'd be so lucky but whatever he turns out to be, we will keep him - woulda been nice to get some eggs though
roll.png

If anyone else has an idea it would be much appreciated!

Thank you to everyone so far

Back
Top Bottom