Cockerel problems

This year two cockerels were born. I expected troubles with them in combination with the rooster.
To my surprise those 3 guys have no problems with each other at all.

Now they started mating and the troubles begin.

If one of them mates with a hen the other two come running and start attacking the hen (pecking)

It happens with one hen in particular. She is now seperated from the rest.

Is this normal behaviour?? If this goes one like this i'm afraid they end in the soup...

Does anybody know what to do??

This year two cockerels were born. I expected troubles with them in combination with the rooster.
To my surprise those 3 guys have no problems with each other at all.

Now they started mating and the troubles begin.

If one of them mates with a hen the other two come running and start attacking the hen (pecking)

It happens with one hen in particular. She is now seperated from the rest.

Is this normal behaviour?? If this goes one like this i'm afraid they end in the soup...

Does anybody know what to do??
I have dealt with this many times. I once had an all rooster flock that would fight with my separate flock consisting of an alpha roo and hens. They would always fight I would have to hose them down or separate them. If you plan to keep then alive then this will be something you will have to deal with. I would suggest getting more hens, I've been told 10 ladies to one male is preferred but I've found that as long as there are enough hens for a roo to have 4 or 5 then it works out. Right now I have 2 adult roosters that control everything. And 2 juvenile roosters that are just discovering the girls. The 2 adult ones will occasionally fight. They been together since hatch but they do fight.i separate them or get the water hose. Also if one mates with the many hens they have the other does come running to try to stop this. You said it happens with one hen in particular and she's probably the favorite hen or top of pecking order for the girls. You could probably separate them all and give each a few hens or put 2 roosters together and they will be a rooster crew and give the girls to the remaining rooster. My birds are 80 percent free range so they go into their own groups. I put them in a pen when I'm not home or at work and I put them in groups that work best. If you don't want to watch over them and separate them then I would suggest only having one rooster. When spring starts the fighting may become more intense and there may be blood shed. I've been thru this and it's very difficult but I get attached to each of them so I cannot eat nor get rid of a single one.
Best of luck.

The psychology of male chickens is complex. So much enters into how they behave - breed temperament, individual temperament, ages of the cockerels and hens in the flock, hens and male chickens ratios.

One thing you probably need to do is to decide which cockerel to weed out of the flock unless you have a very large number of hens, at least ten per roo.

Next, observe all of the boys and how they interact with each other. It's normal and desirable for the senior rooster to reprimand the cockerels when they step over the line and abuse a hen. Select the cockerel that accepts the discipline well. As long as a cockerel accepts his role as subordinate, you are less likely to have rooster conflicts which can be quite violent and injurious.

Meanwhile, the cockerels can be kept separate, for some of the day at least, to give the hens a break from too much attention. You need to be aiming for a peaceful flock. My junior roo at present is becoming hormone charged now that the days are starting to lengthen. He gets to "patrol" the perimeter of the run for part of the day so he doesn't drive the older hens nuts. For some reason, this youngster has always had a "thing" for the older gals and they are no longer even fertile, let alone interested in his attention.

Good advice from @azygous and @ashlierami
A further option is to get some more hens and split the males, each having two or three hens. However, this usually only works if you can house each group separately. This can be done with coops and runs but for most people who just want a small flock this probably isn’t practical.
Some people house the males separately and this can work but imo doesn’t give the males much of a life.

Back
Top Bottom