Coconut for chickens

Greetings NineChickens,

Coconut is a fabulous addition to the chickens diet. I have included it in my chickens diet for the last five years. I use coconut oil, and the coconut chips (dried meat), and even the coconut water for during some illnesses. I especially use it in the Summer, mixed with fruit. Coconut is highly nutritious, and healing too. According to the "Improved Village Poultry Keeping" manual, by Russell Parker, the meat can be used in up to 1/3rd of the chickens diet. Of course this is for chickens in the Solomon Islands, where typical feed used here in the United States, isn't available.

Coconut oil is also something beneficial, to be used in chicken rearing. But, that's something you can research later.

Here is the nutritive breakdown for raw coconut.

Amount Per 1 medium (397 g)
Calories 1405

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 133 g 204%, Saturated fat 118 g 590%, Polyunsaturated fat 1.5 g
Monounsaturated fat 6 g, Cholesterol 0 mg 0%, Sodium 79 mg 3%, Potassium 1,413 mg 40%, Total Carbohydrate 60 g 20%, Dietary fiber 36 g 144%, Sugar 25 g, Protein 13 g 26%, Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 21%, Calcium 5%, Iron 53%, Vitamin D 0%, Vitamin B-6 10%, Vitamin B-12 0%, Magnesium 31%

As you can see, coconuts are chock full of vitamins, minerals, and energy too.

Since your chickens are most likely eating a formulated chicken feed, I would treat them with the coconut. And as a treat, it should not exceed 10% of their daily food. So, just freeze some, then shred or chip the rest for your flock.

I hope I didn't go - coconut crazy...I just love coconut, for my family and chickens! :jumpy

These are my thoughts and experience with coconut.

God Bless :)

I live in the tropics, and often when I'm not in the mood or am too busy to be using the meat after I've drank a Coconut, I chop it in half and put it in the chicken pen. I have 5 birds currently, and they're allowed to free-feed on fresh coconut as they please. Its never once caused them any digestive distress, and I go out of my way a lot to make sure they have it on a regular basis. The fats contained in it are tremendously good for nervous system and skin health, amongst other things. And I feel, after observing the difference fro years, that it increases the quality of the already fantastic eggs I receive from my ladies.

In addition to the Fats, they're an incredible source of many vitamins and minerals, so even for that reason alone I'd keep it available to them.

I would not give them coconut bc I don’t know what it could do(but that is just me) if you do I would give them 1/2 one day and the other half in 1-2 days.

Greetings NineChickens,

Coconut is a fabulous addition to the chickens diet. I have included it in my chickens diet for the last five years. I use coconut oil, and the coconut chips (dried meat), and even the coconut water for during some illnesses. I especially use it in the Summer, mixed with fruit. Coconut is highly nutritious, and healing too. According to the "Improved Village Poultry Keeping" manual, by Russell Parker, the meat can be used in up to 1/3rd of the chickens diet. Of course this is for chickens in the Solomon Islands, where typical feed used here in the United States, isn't available.

Coconut oil is also something beneficial, to be used in chicken rearing. But, that's something you can research later.

Here is the nutritive breakdown for raw coconut.

Amount Per 1 medium (397 g)
Calories 1405

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 133 g 204%, Saturated fat 118 g 590%, Polyunsaturated fat 1.5 g
Monounsaturated fat 6 g, Cholesterol 0 mg 0%, Sodium 79 mg 3%, Potassium 1,413 mg 40%, Total Carbohydrate 60 g 20%, Dietary fiber 36 g 144%, Sugar 25 g, Protein 13 g 26%, Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 21%, Calcium 5%, Iron 53%, Vitamin D 0%, Vitamin B-6 10%, Vitamin B-12 0%, Magnesium 31%

As you can see, coconuts are chock full of vitamins, minerals, and energy too.

Since your chickens are most likely eating a formulated chicken feed, I would treat them with the coconut. And as a treat, it should not exceed 10% of their daily food. So, just freeze some, then shred or chip the rest for your flock.

I hope I didn't go - coconut crazy...I just love coconut, for my family and chickens! :jumpy

These are my thoughts and experience with coconut.

God Bless :)

What kind do you use? Cold pressed? Do you liquify it, then drizzle over fruit?

For coconut oil, I use virgin cold pressed organic. I will melt it and pour over feed, then stir to blend it. Coconut chips I purchase online, and sprinkle over fruit, or even mix it with cooked grains and vegies. The chickens love coconut.

Back
Top Bottom