Cold Chicken

christinalynne

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
My daughter has a pet rooster. He's a sweet little banny that follows her everywhere, not quite full grown. My husband went out this morning and he was outside the house, wet and covered in mud, sitting in a puddle. I think he must have spent the night out side in the rain. My laying hens have never bullied him of kicked him out of the house before.

I washed him in warm water with baby shampoo and blow dried him on the low setting. Got him wrapped up in a towel in the house. What else should I do? He wont eat or drink water. If he doesn't want chicken food or scratch should I put out some bread or veggie scraps? He's been inside for about two hours and isn't moving, just sleeping wrapped up in a towel.

Welcome to BYC. I would set a heat lamp up for him in a box or crate with food and water. Examine him all over for any bites or puffiness that might be a leaking air sac from injury. If you have puppy pads or paper towel, place those under him so you can see what his poops look like. He make have been sick or injured before roost time, and got too cold outside. He also could have been attached, and in shock. If you have vitamin/electrolyte to put in his water, or pedialyte undiluted, give it to him by dipping his beak into a small cup. Hopefully, he will start to feel better soon.

One of mine got too cold so i warmed up a microwaveable teddy put that in a town so it wouldnt burn and then placed her ontop of that infront of the fire she soon perked up. I didnt have a heat lamp handy at the time and this was the fastest thing i could think to do. hope hes better soon

Thank you everyone, He has perked up alittle and I got him to eat some scrambled egg out of my hand (about 1/4 of an egg). I keep warming up towels in the dryer and letting him lay on them. Mostly he is just sleeping alot but has begun to chirp alittle and has pooped once. I'm going to keep him inside and baby him for a few days.

I really appreciate the help and would love more advice if anyone thinks of something that may be useful.

Back
Top Bottom