Colorado?

Snowydiamonds, I actually don't know anything about them changing Twin Lakes, but I do know it is two lakes now. I actually live south of there a bit in Buena Vista. We have been to Twin Lakes several times. Actually we usually fish at Forebay, the reservoir above the lakes that they use to pump water from for the electric plant on Twin.

Mylilchix, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your Cornish Rock crosses from? Have you lost any? We got some Cornish a couple years ago had some problems with they just being fine one day and flopped over dead the next. The reason I ask is that we are about 8500 ft as well.

Thanks, Meg:) I'm so glad they put it back right! So there is an electric plant there now...I used to love hiking w/the dog team I raised there from pups and brought back to Alaska w/me. When the twin lakes first froze over I'd roll a pebble on top the sheet of new ice and it would echo off the mountains in surround sound. Its where I waited for my high school sweetheart to get out of the navy so we could begin life together by heading home on a long road trip. I also loved seeing and listening to the wolves singing in different packs around the lakes...and the fire belly salamanders in ponds, and the wild bunnies I tried over and over to catch but they were too fast! My neighbors had a flock of chickens that I'd care for when they went down to Durango to check on their ranch as they lived in Twin Lakes close to where I lived.

I ordered 12 from Ideal the end of August. I had one chick die within the first 24 hours, and the other 11 are getting fat and stinky. I'm waiting to take them to the processor because we had one that was pecked badly by my layers. She's almost completely healed! I had them in my basement for the first 6 weeks, and then moved them to the coop. Now they have a seperate home in the coop and run, so no more injuries. I have been doing the 12 hours of feed, and 12 hours off feed. Maybe that is helping.

Sonja

Beardedchick, I'll definitely post once we know their weights. They're pretty heavy right now. I'm hoping to get them to the processor in the next couple of weeks. I just need to wait until the end of the midget football season before we can make the trek up to Fort Collins.

Sonja

What processor do you use? Is it right in Fort Collins?
How much do they charge per chicken?
I've been considering eating my layers at 18 months but I was hesitant to process on my own. Thanks for you help?

Hi Emilyfrancis, I'm going to be using R&C Wild Game Custom Processing & Poultry. Their addy is 2520 W Cty Rd 60E in Fort Collins. Their phone number is 970-493-2384. They'll charging $2.50 a bird, and they can do small orders. I have to call back tomorrow to get my birds in. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sonja

Well, we ended up going to Northern Colorado Poultry in Nunn. It's not too far outside of Fort Collins. After being continuously told to call back by the guy from RC Poultry and then never being called back when I left a message, we decided to go with NC Poultry. Bill answered right away and got us in quickly. We dropped off the birds yesterday, and we'll pick them up tomorrow. Can't wait to get them!

Sonja

Just got back from Northern Colorado Poultry. Bill was really nice, and the chickens look yummy. Can't wait to eat them!! Our 10 week old cornish rocks dressed out at 4.5-7lbs. I had a couple that were at the bottom of the pecking order and didn't get as much food as the other little piggies. Bill charges $2.70 a bird w/o giblets. We left them all whole because dh said he didn't mind cutting them up. I was very happy with NC Poultry. Other than the long hall from Conifer to Nunn, I'd use him again!!

Sonja

Back
Top Bottom