1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Colored Deviled Eggs- does anybody else do these?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by spectrumranch, Apr 11, 2009.

1. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Instead of the normal deviled eggs- I have been playing with a few ideas. So this project has a few stages.

Yesterday I hard boiled about 50 eggs. I peeled most of them but took a dozen and just cracked the shell.

I split that dozen up and soaked them overnight in water with food coloring.

Now i am in the process of soaking some of the peeled eggs in the colored water.

Here is my first results:
    [​IMG]

I will try to get more photos when I finish making deviled eggs with them tomorrow.

I am also thinking of trying a few with a sour cream & chive filling.

Anyone else try this or have any other suggestions?

Not sure if the in-laws will eat them!

Randy www.spectrumranch.net

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    That is an awsome idea! They are so pretty! [​IMG]

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    What and AWESOME idea for easter dinner!

I'll be filing that away to use later.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Nice! Really cool idea!! [​IMG]

5. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Wow, I really like it!!!

6. Flyman39

Flyman39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    How do you get your eggs to peel so easily??? I really need to know and quick. Mine look like they have been run through a grinder. Please help.

7. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine peeled super easy- but they were sitting in an egg bucket for about a week or so just at room temp. I put mine on the stove in warm water and bring to a boil- once they are boiling I then turn the burner off, cover and leave there for about 15 minutes, or until I get back in the house from other projects. I rinse in cold water and start peeling.

I think the key is age and my eggs are a room temps, but I have heard that adding baking soda helps with peeling.

**** Also for deviled eggs- I prefer to use our bantam or mid sized chicken eggs. We have over 100 medium sized broody hens that we use for incubating, their eggs are a little bigger than bantam eggs. By using the smaller eggs, the deviled eggs are easier to eat, BITE SIZE compared to stuffing a normal size large egg in your mouth. And for everday use- I just use 2 of the broody hen eggs where I would use one large egg.****

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    awesome idea! [​IMG]

9. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I MUST try that-wow! I wonder if it would come out spicy if you put hot sauce in with the red dye?

10. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Are you having ham tomorrow as well? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by