Comb has been ripped off

Walton Mama

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
Hello, I have 4-week-old chicks. I check on them periodically during the day and when I checked on them last night, 2 Wyandottes have had their combs ripped off. There is no blood. I have RRR bullies that I removed them from the flock. How should I proceed? I'm concerned about adding them back into the flock. The one RRR is very friendly to me but I have seen her jump the others (pecking order I assumed). The larger RRR hen is not so friendly and is definitely a bully. They are not outside yet because of the weather here. The injured seem to be doing fine. I put Neosporin on them. ANY SUGGESTIONS, please.

Are you sure it was ripped off? That just looks like how Wyandotte combs look. Wyandottes don’t have big combs like other chickens. They have a different type of comb.
I think you are right. Cause there was no blood that I could see. I thought they had very little spikes on top but they grow and change so fast. Thank you so much for commenting. I feel so much better. But they did get a huge upgrade last night with a much larger pen. Thanks again

1713229343654.jpeg

I would think to leave them seperated until you know that it is healed and try putting the chicks back. They don't have combs to get ripped off anymore. Keep giving them neosporin and maybe some vaseline when there are no wounds, vaseline will help prevent cracking of the skin.
I would think to leave them seperated until you know that it is healed and try putting the chicks back. They don't have combs to get ripped off anymore. Keep giving them neosporin and maybe some vaseline when there are no wounds, vaseline will help prevent cracking of the skin.
1713229825807.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom