Confession of a guilt ridden chicken mama

AuntieAlex

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
Central New Hampshire
Ok so I have to get something off my chest. I am the WORST chicken mom ever 😢😭

Sometimes I let my little 2 week old chicks outside to wander and explore a little while I’m standing there to watch them. I usually have a water hose handy to keep them from wandering too far and to make sure our cats keep their distance as well, but I forgot it today. And the cat decided he was gonna be brave and stalk my babies. I tried stomping at him to scare him away but I lost my balance and I accidentally stepped on one of my chickens head! She didn’t die right away but she had no control over her neck for a minute and flailed her head around before falling asleep. I thought for sure she had died in my hands and she scared the shit out of me when she started chirping loudly, but she still couldn’t lift her head very well or even open her eyes.

I thought there was no way she could survive such a head injury, and even if there was a possibility how much pain and suffering would I be putting her through on the off chance that she might recover. I also don’t have the time to nurse her properly even if I were willing to put her through it. So we put her out of her misery.

I just feel so guilty!! 😭😭 I try not to get too attached to these birds because they’re dual purpose and the eventual plan is for them all to end up in our freezer but this is so different from a purposeful, quick death. This wasnt circle of life, this was a stupid stupid error I made that ended in the loss of a baby life I was responsible for and by my own hand no less! I’m so incredibly sorry and there’s nothing for me to do about it.

how horrible for you..we all make mistakes and learn from them. Im sorry you had this accident..I also have to chase my cat Storm away from stalking my silkies and Ive accicentaly kicked the cat..stepped on his tail..we dont mean to harm them we just want them all to get along. Take comfort..you cared enough to not let the little one suffer any longer..stay strong AuntieAlex we are all still learning

dont
Ok so I have to get something off my chest. I am the WORST chicken mom ever 😢😭

Sometimes I let my little 2 week old chicks outside to wander and explore a little while I’m standing there to watch them. I usually have a water hose handy to keep them from wandering too far and to make sure our cats keep their distance as well, but I forgot it today. And the cat decided he was gonna be brave and stalk my babies. I tried stomping at him to scare him away but I lost my balance and I accidentally stepped on one of my chickens head! She didn’t die right away but she had no control over her neck for a minute and flailed her head around before falling asleep. I thought for sure she had died in my hands and she scared the shit out of me when she started chirping loudly, but she still couldn’t lift her head very well or even open her eyes.

I thought there was no way she could survive such a head injury, and even if there was a possibility how much pain and suffering would I be putting her through on the off chance that she might recover. I also don’t have the time to nurse her properly even if I were willing to put her through it. So we put her out of her misery.

I just feel so guilty!! 😭😭 I try not to get too attached to these birds because they’re dual purpose and the eventual plan is for them all to end up in our freezer but this is so different from a purposeful, quick death. This wasnt circle of life, this was a stupid stupid error I made that ended in the loss of a baby life I was responsible for and by my own hand no less! I’m so incredibly sorry and there’s nothing for me to do about it.
Don't beat yourself up it was an accident sh** happens say a prayer and forgive yourself

how horrible for you..we all make mistakes and learn from them. Im sorry you had this accident..I also have to chase my cat Storm away from stalking my silkies and Ive accicentaly kicked the cat..stepped on his tail..we dont mean to harm them we just want them all to get along. Take comfort..you cared enough to not let the little one suffer any longer..stay strong AuntieAlex we are all still learning

Me too 😞 I feel like I did enough damage there was no way I could put her through more. That wouldn’t have made anyone feel better.

Honestly these chickens are teaching me so much more than I ever expected them to. They’re bringing on the hard lessons for sure.

Me too 😞 I feel like I did enough damage there was no way I could put her through more. That wouldn’t have made anyone feel better.

Honestly these chickens are teaching me so much more than I ever expected them to. They’re bringing on the hard lessons for sure.
LOL I know right...Ive only had mine for a month but already they have stamped themselves into my heart..they make sure I never stop learning something and I get so much joy in all their lessons..lol well except my rooster hes a meanie..there is a thread about taking control of him and Ive tried but it only works if Im carrying the switch..today I wasnt..I really hope you feel better about yourself Im sure everyone of us has been there or will be there too..hugs and best wishes

Back
Top Bottom