Considering Mixing Flock breeds/ages

Apr 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Hi! I have three 18 week old Easter egger pullets- I’m thinking about getting a serama pullet (about 7 weeks old). Do you think the size/age difference will be an issue? None of my chickens are very aggressive at all, more so shy and skittish, so I wouldn’t be so worried if it was a larger bird closer to their age. So I’m not sure if this is a horrible idea or not. Please help!!! 🙂

I would not get just one serama as that would be unfair on her. I'd get at least 3, if not 6 so that any aggression (and there will be some) is shared out amongst a group rather than one bird being the target. It doesn't matter how sweet your birds are they will not like the idea of sharing their home with any new faces. Be prepared to give the seramas alternative accommodation (and being so small they won't need anything big and fancy) in the event that the two groups refuse to get along. Putting any birds together is a risk, but as long as you are willing to keep two separate coops just in case they can't work out their differences then there's no harm in trying.

My flock is a mix of breeds, both standard and bantam. It works, but I would def not I reduce only one, if possible. Not so much because of size, but because it should have someone to form a posse with. I added one bird once, and I'll never ever ever do it again. She didn't have anyone to bond with, and I think it forced her waaaaay to the bottom of the pecking order. I think it's got a lot to do with the individual bird, but it invites more problems than it's worth.

ETA: I added my 3 bantams to my established standard sized flock many months apart with zero problems - after proper introduction procedures, of course. I'd add at least 2, if I were you. Hey... good excuse to get more chickens! 😜

I agree with the above posters! New-comers always get picked on, and having a mini-flock of their own to spread out the blows and bond with is a must-have. Over time a pecking order will develop and the new chickens will be welcomed into the flock, but it takes time and multiple new chickens will help the final pecking order be more balanced.

Would the fact that I free range for the most part make a difference at all? I have a large backyard, but laws prevent me from getting more than one.
Yes! That makes a difference, imo. But the coop situation is still problematic for new birds. I wouldn't in your position, though, because of how neurotic my singleton is now. But that's just my two cents. You do what's right for you and your flock.

my main coop is and crazy mixed-up mess of breeds and animals there is 47chickens 8ducks and 3bunnies chickens are black sexlinks, gold sexlinks, white leghorns, bantams, booted bantams, meat, EE's, Ameraucana's and silkies
4pekins, 4rouens and 1mini rex and 2 Norwegians i say go for it but get more than 1 get 3-6

Would the fact that I free range for the most part make a difference at all? I have a large backyard, but laws prevent me from getting more than one.
That's rediculous! Has anybody ever complained about your chickens? Do you have bad neighbors? People could not notice that you're over the limit if you're allowed to have chickens at all in your area and people know you have chickens and don't know that much about the specifics of the law or maybe even like you and your chickens. You may want to get just two of the breed, and if you're just one over the limit you may not be bothered with. What is the penalty for breaking this rule? If it's a cheap fine and nothing truly bad could happen to you and your chickens it may be worth a shot, but if it puts your chickens at risk of being confiscated and you at risk of jail-time, it certainly isn't. As for breeds, I would like to clarify. My mother has had multi-breed flocks plenty of times, and they get along fine and work together as a flock. The thing is they were raised together from chicks and then new-comers were properly introduced often-times along with their own buddies they'd been with since chicks or had become aclimated to. So if the chicken had an existing flock they had been apart of or some other chicken that had been raised with them that would work no matter the breed of the other chicken, at least in my experiance.

What is the penalty for breaking this rule? If it's a cheap fine and nothing truly bad could happen to you and your chickens it may be worth a shot, but if it puts your chickens at risk of being confiscated and you at risk of jail-time, it certainly isn't.
The penalty is a few thousand $ fine and 6 months jail time 😬 I don’t want to risk going over the limit. I do live in a bit of a snobby suburban neighborhood in the city, to be fair 😂

Back
Top Bottom