Consolidated Kansas

On the black chick, she (I hope) is quite a bit smaller than either of her hatchmates. Much smaller than Chickzilla and a little smaller than Copper. I think she is lovely. (thinking positively on the SHE)

Thanks for the input. I guess now I'll just wait an see. The two EE boys are clearly boys by their feathers at 10 weeks, and one is trying to crow. The dark one with the red on his wings is shyer than the white one. I'm just hoping they can live in peace with 12-14 hens.

I was trying to see feathers on each of the birds. Not sure I can make them out but will try to give opinions.
I agree that chickzilla is a boy! I gotta say I love those colors. Not sure about copper. I did have a blue gold laced brahma out there that could be Copper's father as well if she is showing a lot more foot feathering than the others. If not I'd say her daddy is also the orpington boy.
Very nice birds Sharol. I think you got a decent share of females in there.

So if Raven is a girl that would be awesome. She really is a pretty chick.
I have a couple of rogue boys my hens hatched out. I am sure they are both the same although they were hatched at different times to different hens. They are (not that I can see the traits) half speckled sussex and half light brahma. They are just gorgeous. I may have a home for one of them but if anyone needs a pretty young cockerel just to watch over a flock some day these boys are really pretty. I have a few other boys running around as well. Most of the boys will just end up getting butchered but when I get something really pretty I hate to see them eaten.

I gave my rooster amoxycillin liquid orally using a small syringe (no needle) that the vet gave me. I tucked him under my left arm (I'm right handed) and put the tip of the syringe at the corner of his mouth. He cooperated for the most part and after a couple of treatments, he didn't give me a hard time with it. The trick is to aim the syringe so that the liquid is headed down his throat not onto his tongue (do they have tongues?) I don't know if that would work with a goose or not. I don't think the injectable is the same stuff is it? This was that awful pink stuff they give little kids for strep.

Good luck with the meds. Poultry is even worse than kids when it comes to giving meds.
I tried breaking open the capsule, dissolving it in water and then force feeding it to my goose as you describe doing to your rooster. However, my goose did NOT cooperate, and I ended up making a big mess. It was also a lot of work, and I don't know that my DH would be willing to do that, especially by himself. Thus why I was asking for better options. My duck, on the other hand, accepted the force feeding and cooperated rather nicely. My goose could learn a lesson or two from that duck. :)

Sharol I know what you are talking about and that would have been a better option but Lizzy got pills. I've been giving some pills to chickens and it's just a matter of pushing them back into the throat area. I'd much rather give shots myself. I really like things that go into the water but with geese and ducks it's really hard to get water into them without them swimming in it or spilling it.
Lizzy I can tell you feel guilty about leaving, but your husband will do fine. Do you use front line on your dog? I've found that helps reduce the number of flies that get on them but of course won't keep them all off. I'd spray the wounds on your dog with the blue kote to keep the flies off the sores. Not sure it will help but it might be a start. I also ran into a guy recently that bought a bunch of Avon Skin so Soft and was putting it on his horses to keep flies off of them. I figure if it would work for horses it should work for dogs. You would have a stinky dog but it might work. I know you are short on time so maybe just a spray of some bug repellent spray would help. Just an idea.
If you are getting rid of the fish why don't you advertise the tank for sale and give the fish free with it? It's hard to let go of aquariums I know because I have several around here myself but if you aren't going to use it that's an option. Just tell them they can do what they want with the fish.
Yes, I am feeling guilty about leaving, especially because my DH complains about all the money we've put into the animals recently (LOTS of sickness/injury recently).

No, we don't use frontline. We bought a cheaper brand (bio spot defense) this year, and didn't like it. I thought we'd used the bio spot brand before with no troubles, but this one didn't work very well at all. There were still quite a few ticks on him, even just a couple days after application. Just this morning, we moved the bird's pool to inside their pen (the gate is open all day, but the dog knows he's not supposed to go in there). Then, we sprayed the dog with horse fly spray. It seems to have helped a little bit, but he still has flies.

Sharol I know what you are talking about and that would have been a better option but Lizzy got pills.
The vet didn't have anything except for pills. I might try force feeding the capsule to my goose this evening and continuing to force feed the dissolves meds to the duck. She took them WAY better than my goose did.

I know this isn't exactly chicken-related, but I have to brag on my DH! I've been working hard on getting the nursery put together and getting the nursery set (crib set + stuff for the nursery) done. One of my most recent things to be completed is a set of curtains for each window. Needless to say, I was excited to get them hung. Well, there are no curtain rods in the nursery. We had some extra rods, so I asked my DH to get the hardware for them so we could hang them. He went out to the shed to find the hardware and came back empty-handed. The stuff in the shed is still in boxes from when we moved, and he couldn't find anything when it was so unorganized. So, to remedy the situation, he designed and built some shelves for the garden shed. After 2-3 days worth of working in his freetime, here are the results!

Here he is putting things away:

The freshly-finished shelves.

Just went out to check chickens. It is a very hot day. One got caught in wire. She is panting & listing sideways. Wants to move but floppy. I got her wet, hand trickled water to her, she drank, & put a fan in the coop. Anything else I can do? Very new chicken lover. Totally clueless.

Panic. Hot chicken.
Panic. Hot chicken.

#1 of 4
2 hours ago
mamau
Just went out to check chickens. It is a very hot day. One got caught in wire. She is panting & listing sideways. Wants to move but floppy. I got her wet, hand trickled water to her, she drank, & put a fan in the coop. Anything else I can do? Very new chicken lover. Totally clueless.

#2 of 4
an hour ago
mamau
Well, I also laid her on an ice pack. Just checked back on her. She is now standing on her own but still wobbly. I treated her like I have done for mammal animals.

#3 of 4
12 minutes ago
BantamFan4Life

#4 of 4
2 minutes ago
mamau
Just checked again. She is doing much better! Still panting but not as wobbly. Do you think she will make it?

Did I get these posts in the correct place this time. I really don't know how to post here except to reply to someone else's post.

Last edited:
Panic. Hot chicken.
Panic. Hot chicken.

#1 of 4
2 hours ago
mamau

#2 of 4
an hour ago
mamau
Well, I also laid her on an ice pack. Just checked back on her. She is now standing on her own but still wobbly. I treated her like I have done for mammal animals.

#3 of 4
12 minutes ago
BantamFan4Life

#4 of 4
2 minutes ago
mamau
Just checked again. She is doing much better! Still panting but not as wobbly. Do you think she will make it?

Did I get these posts in the correct place this time. I really don't know how to post here except to reply to someone else's post.

It sounds like you're getting her cooled down, it may take awhile if she got really overheated for her to return to normal, like hours. Keep giving her liquids & make sure she's in a cooler place. You can give her some electrolytes too if you have them.

Mamau you need to get her cooled down quickly but not to put her in shock. Bring her in the house, fill the sink with just slightly warm water. Just enough so it doesn't feel cool. Then sit her down in it. Dump some of the water over the top of her after she relaxes some. Wrap her in a towel loosely and leave her in the air conditioning. Offer water and pedialite or even sugar water with a little salt willl help.
Lizzy great job your hubster did on those shelves.
I had to come in it was just too hot to work out there. I've been trying to rebuild a cheap shelf unit I got at an auction a couple years ago. I just wanted another place to store some of the clutter that collects in the hallway.

Panic. Hot chicken.
Panic. Hot chicken.

#1 of 4
2 hours ago
mamau

#2 of 4
an hour ago
mamau

#3 of 4
12 minutes ago
BantamFan4Life

#4 of 4
2 minutes ago
mamau

HOw is she doing now?

Lizzy great job your hubster did on those shelves.
You should see it now that he's gotten everything put away. It went from a disorganized, hectic mess to clean and organized! Now, I wish I had taken a "before" picture so you could see the difference!

Back
Top Bottom