Coop Ideas for Dog Run

jeffdbg

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2022
Hi Everybody,
My name is Jeff, and I live in Colorado. I'm the proud owner of 4 beautiful chickens who currently reside in a roofed chain link dog run reinforced with hardware cloth. Inside this run resides a cookie cutter coop purchased off of Amazon that is quickly deteriorating after two years of use. Before the winter moves in, I would like to build a new coop inside this run that will improve the quality of life for my chicks and keep them comfy in the hot and cold weather. While I'm not great at building something like this f scratch, I know a few folks that are, and they would be willing to assist if I can come up with a plan to execute.

Here are the dimensions of the dog run (Length-10ft, Height-6ft, Width-5ft). I would prefer to have the ability to walk into the new coop if possible, but I also realize I'm not dealing with a ton of space to work with. Please let me know if you have any ideas or can point me to some existing plans that would work for this setup. Thanks in advance for your help/assistance.

IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg

Welcome to BYC!

Here's the basic info for a flock of 4:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
You might find/build a small shed that you could attach to the outside of the run. Or you might just add walls to the run to make it into a lovely, huge coop with plenty of elbow room and ventilation.

This is my brooder, as an example of what can be done: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

Putting a big coop inside the run could be problematic because it would take away valuable run space. :)

:clapA BIG THANK YOU to @3killerbees and other folks here who have been so generous with their time and knowledge to us new ‘chicken tenders’ by posting statistics, pix and other desperately needed info on housing, care and maintenance of our new feathered friends. I salute you!!

You're very welcome.

We pass on what others taught us when we were new.

Welcome to BYC!

Here's the basic info for a flock of 4:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
You might find/build a small shed that you could attach to the outside of the run. Or you might just add walls to the run to make it into a lovely, huge coop with plenty of elbow room and ventilation.

This is my brooder, as an example of what can be done: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

Putting a big coop inside the run could be problematic because it would take away valuable run space. :)
:clapA BIG THANK YOU to @3killerbees and other folks here who have been so generous with their time and knowledge to us new ‘chicken tenders’ by posting statistics, pix and other desperately needed info on housing, care and maintenance of our new feathered friends. I salute you!!

I've thought about that, but it is pretty cheap material, and I wanted my girls to have better insulation in the winter. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not that creative or handy :)
Insulation isn't needed. It's a invitation for rodents. It gets down to -20 at times in my area. My coops don't have any insulation. A well ventilated coop without drafts is what the chickens need.

Back
Top Bottom