How big is your coop?
Pics and dimensions will help here.
Winter conditions is something to think about.
Even if you plan on free ranging, having a decent sized secure run is good to have for when predator issues arise.
the coop is 8x10
IMG_4848.JPG

You need a run. Now if you have a run, you can still let them out to free range. The more you let them out, the farther they will roam. As you have all chicks, you have no birds with any experience. Experience comes expensive as in predators love inexperienced chicks by themselves.

I have a coop/ run...fort knox. (!#$^!$% coons) However I do let mine out of that set up to free range, but I do not let them out on the same time each day. Predators are quick to capitalize on routines.
I don't let mine out if:
  • cloudy or high wind days - gives too much advantage to predators
  • on a daily schedule - sometimes all day, sometimes part of a day, somedays not at all
  • if I get hit by a predator, I do not let them out for several days, so the predator moves on, as they will be back.
  • if we are gone for a couple of days, mine stay in lock down.
You do not have a multi-generational flock. Eventually you will, and that will help, the older birds will teach the younger birds. A good adult, more than a year old rooster can also help with daytime predation, not all roosters are good roosters, and roosters IMO take some experience.

Good luck, but build the run.

Mrs K

Beautiful job on the coop/run. It may not be big enough for 15 birds. Are you in southern California? No winter to speak of? If so it may work out for you. The coop won't be big enough to be anything but a bedroom to 15 full-grown chickens. They're gonna be tight in that run, too. Maybe you could add some additional run space without the roof--maybe just netting? Or if you don't need overhead protection in your area, just a well-fenced area to give them some more space?

Beautiful job on the coop/run. It may not be big enough for 15 birds. Are you in southern California? No winter to speak of? If so it may work out for you. The coop won't be big enough to be anything but a bedroom to 15 full-grown chickens. They're gonna be tight in that run, too. Maybe you could add some additional run space without the roof--maybe just netting? Or if you don't need overhead protection in your area, just a well-fenced area to give them some more space?
yes we have a fenced area about the same size as the structure we could move around. this is why I wanted to ensure we could have them outside! they should be fine outside all year long, it does rain though

You need a run. Now if you have a run, you can still let them out to free range. The more you let them out, the farther they will roam. As you have all chicks, you have no birds with any experience. Experience comes expensive as in predators love inexperienced chicks by themselves.

I have a coop/ run...fort knox. (!#$^!$% coons) However I do let mine out of that set up to free range, but I do not let them out on the same time each day. Predators are quick to capitalize on routines.
I don't let mine out if:
  • cloudy or high wind days - gives too much advantage to predators
  • on a daily schedule - sometimes all day, sometimes part of a day, somedays not at all
  • if I get hit by a predator, I do not let them out for several days, so the predator moves on, as they will be back.
  • if we are gone for a couple of days, mine stay in lock down.
You do not have a multi-generational flock. Eventually you will, and that will help, the older birds will teach the younger birds. A good adult, more than a year old rooster can also help with daytime predation, not all roosters are good roosters, and roosters IMO take some experience.

Good luck, but build the run.

Mrs K
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom