Copper Blue Marans -puzzling injuries!!!

VTChix

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
I have two CBM hens that I adore. About two weeks ago I discovered a three inch opening in the skin under one of their wings. After tending to the wound, I searched the coop high and low for something that she may have gotten caught on, but found nothing. I assumed she may have been in the nesting box with another hen and they got in a squabble. Yesterday, the other Maran hen appeared to have the identical cut in the same place, and the first hens wound was slightly re-opened.The flock consists of 17 hens of mixed breeds - no rooster. And until now, no aggressive behavior.
I have them isolated and made a make-shift e-collar to prevent them picking at the wounds
Any thoughts??? I'd appreciate any ideas as to how and who might be responsible. Seems too coincidental that the two of the same breed would experience the identical injury??? Many thanks!

Welcome to BYC.
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Where exactly is this wound? Under the wing on the body or under the actual wing? If it is actually on the wing underneath, they could be flapping on something and injuring the wing. I am not sure why they would have injury on the body under the wings. When you first started describing this, I did think rooster, but since you don't have one, then I am not sure.

Either way, if this is a very large injury, you might want to use some neosporin (without the pain killer) or some blu-kote on the wounds to prevent infection.

Good luck and I hope you can figure this out!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Could you post pictures of the injuries? X2 what TwoCrows said, first thought is rooster damage (and, have to ask, you are sure you don't have any roosters?) These are big heavy birds, could they be hitting something coming off the roost or any other place they jump up on, wire etc? Are they squeezing in and out of something?

Back
Top Bottom