Cornish cross with other hens?

coledabomb

Songster
Jun 30, 2021
We recently bought A few hens and the store all wet bantams but we wanted a normal size one so we asked them and they told us she would just me a regular sized laying hen… well turned out she was a Cornish cross 😂 we are never going to eat her she’s on a restricted feed and always free-ranges with the bantams just like one of them and when she needs a break all of them join her in a group huddle! It’s the cutest thing to see. The problem is that I don’t know how there sleeping situations should be because we recently got 2 more bantams so the hen house space is limited and it doesn’t help she’s the size of 3 of them combined, she never even roosts she just sleeps next to them on the floor. Should I let her sleep on the bottom of the hen houses caged area because she will be safe from predators (we have practically none) what do you guys think?

Attachments

• D8485710-4888-4B42-A6B1-6CA42EE07A5F.jpeg
    D8485710-4888-4B42-A6B1-6CA42EE07A5F.jpeg
    553.6 KB · Views: 26
Realistically your coop size is small for the number of birds that you have. Eventually that ramp will become impossible for her to climb. Sleeping beneath the coop is an option, but there is always the possibility of a predator locating her and either breaching the pen or harassing her through the wire.

Where are you located, and can you post a picture of the coop/pen and proposed sleeping area?
The first photo is where they all are now and the whole thing is the 2nd. I was thinking of putting a towel down or something so she can sleep on the caged area below.

Attachments

• 575D284C-2D4A-48A8-85CD-914A082643B6.jpeg
    575D284C-2D4A-48A8-85CD-914A082643B6.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 13
  • 5E20BE47-894A-42B0-96FE-1B50FF3ABA59.jpeg
    5E20BE47-894A-42B0-96FE-1B50FF3ABA59.jpeg
    829.1 KB · Views: 13
Realistically your coop size is small for the number of birds that you have. Eventually that ramp will become impossible for her to climb. Sleeping beneath the coop is an option, but there is always the possibility of a predator locating her and either breaching the pen or harassing her through the wire.
We really have no night time Predators here in Arizona the only thing that could get near her is our fat toothless dog 😂

I will say the coop will be small BUT she can fit in. They don't roost (i let my meaties live with my layers) they lay on the floor. Not ideal but they learned to lay in the nest box sides. They do need picked up because they just don't get it that the ramp is the way up. It's a long ramp. The male will try and try to jump up the side. Female jumps once says 'nope' and waddles over to me for help. I have lifted them EVERY day in and out because I don't want them to get hurt. The male is very.. vocal.. they both kicked while young but now they're good. I grab the wings and legs (scooping so their legs are between my fingers and not able to kick) and lift supporting their weight in my hands. They get pretty 'chunky' pretty quick. The male will get processed first. I will miss saying 'hey chunky boy' to him but hey he is meant to be eaten. I will raise the pullet a week or two longer (she is lighter by a little) and I have more of a younger batch but they like to nest in my other coop with the ducks the weirdos. It is what it is as long as they are healthy and happy until time to eat that's all that matters. I do have a soft spot for my older pullet and one of the younger ones (it limps a bit from some injury it got not my doing). If it looks like it will make it I may have a meat bird or two hens only. I don't need a meat cockeral running around dropping down randomly to eat, poop, drink and fight my 2 cockerals I plan on raising to keep one (depends on which is the right temperament for my house). It's doable though.

Back
Top Bottom