Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Hi everyone! BYC has been a lifeline since I lost my job last May. I'm a first time chicken owner with a small flock of five. Birds saved me this year.

My husband and I got Covid tests this morning. He's felling pretty bad, though I'm fine so far. He also got a flu test, and it came back negative. (Never thought I'd root for him to have the flu.)

So we're quarantined now for at least a week, much longer if the tests come back positive. While cases are rising again in CT I feel for all of you in the Midwest and other areas getting slammed. We were scared out our wits in the spring, and round two is on its way.

Be safe. Be well. And hug a chicken. :love

DD = Dear Daughter. DH/DW = Dear husband/wife, etc. I just use peoples first names first letter - too many enby and uniquely statused people in my life for typical labels to apply.

@MROO If you and the people your daughter want to see are interested I'd strongly suggest doing Jackbox Party games with takeout pizza. Jackbox is a remote multiplayer improv party game. It's got things like "Quiplash" where you are given a prompt and have to come up with a funny response for it and everyone else votes on whose is best. Or "Tee KO" where people draw t-shirt designs in 30 seconds and titles for them and match them up and have them fight for better designs. It's super fun and anyone with a computer or smart device can play as long as one person has a copy of the game. You just stream the main game through Zoom or Discord for audio and chat functions and play with your cellphones, tablets, or other computers. It's my favorite remote party activity and it's good fun even in small groups.

Many people, including some of my relatives, are CRAZY! Here in the USA we are in such a mess, needlessly, and it's awful. We have better science, and are still behaving like so many did in 1918.
Mary
Most of us are preaching to the choir here. I think the most dangerous phrase ever coined is "Fake News".
The whole state of Missouri is virtually out of hospital space. I've seen us and our local hospitals on national news a couple times a day this week. The hospital about 6 miles from me was featured on CNBC this evening.
All the hospitals in our metropolitan area are full and a significant number of patients are from rural areas. New patients are being turned away. Some are being sent to Quincy, IL.
A woman who had brain surgery and released had complications and had to be shipped to Farmington, MO(where our farm was when I was young) about 85 miles to the south. She spent 2 days in their emergency room until a room opened up where her surgery was done.
Several of our hospitals have refrigerated trucks parked outside for temporary morgues.
The country is suffering a new 9/11 every day, and there are still people that don't believe it.

Last edited:
DD = "Dear Daughter" ... as opposed to DS - "Dear Son" who is absolutely AGAINST the restaurant idea and has offered to do us up a "proper" fire. We're a family of old-school Scouts, so we have everything we need to do a proper campfire outing. And I'm thinkin' that, if we throw some s'mores into the mix, all objections will literally melt away. It looks like we have a plan!
Metaphorical hugs!!!
This too shall pass.
So moot it be.
I missed out on a few birthdays in the Navy during Desert shield/storm/shield....
I hope she can see the sun rise on that horizon as a better future of many more birthdays to have in many more places with even more positive memories attached to them to ease the scar tissue from all of 2020 has given her.(and all of us as well)

Most of us are preaching to the choir here. I think the most dangerous phrase ever coined is "Fake News".
The whole state of Missouri is virtually out of hospital space. I've seen us and our local hospitals on national news a couple times a day this week. The hospital about 6 miles from me was featured on CNBC this evening.
All the hospitals in our metropolitan area are full and a significant number of patients are from rural areas. New patients are being turned away. Some are being sent to Quincy, IL.
A woman who had brain surgery and released had complications and had to be shipped to Farmington, MO(where our farm was when I was young) about 85 miles to the south. She spent 2 days in their emergency room until a room opened up where her surgery was done.
Several of our hospitals have refrigerated trucks parked outside for temporary morgues.
The country is suffering a new 9/11 every day, and there are still people that don't believe it.
We know these scenes well on the east coast. Many fled to CT from NYC. We watched the National Guard build field hospitals outside permanent hospitals. The governor may reopen the CT Convention Center to handle non-Covid patients. Refrigerated trucks supplemented morgues. Thousands of nursing home residents died; their caretakers trapped and falling ill. Fortunately, most people here accept the reality of the pandemic, but there's still disagreement about how to manage everything. And some folks thinking "yeah it's bad, but it won't happen to me."

It took the pandemic for me to start a flock. I thought about it years ago, but never acted. Back in April, on the day we couldn't find eggs and many other food items at the store, my husband said "Maybe we should get some chickens for eggs." And so here we are. Best thing we did during this scary time.

Covid has a hugh impact on health care in Europe too. One of the problems of the health care system where I live is that many people stopped going to see doctors for a regular check, testing for early cancer and less severe health problems. Bc of this many more people have damaged themselves unnecessary or got too late in hospital for (less severe) treatment.

It happened to someone very dear to me too. She skipped cervical cancer control, got pregnant, and now she has a nasty cancer treatment and lost her baby. 😢

Good news is that they start vaccinating here in January. And expect to have vaccinated everyone (who dares) next summer. They expect most of the Covid limitations to end in 2021.

Any suggestions for making her day special are welcome. Maybe we'll have pizza round a campfire in the driveway!

If I understand things correctly, fifteen minutes at 135F deactivates the virus. I've heard of people ordering pizza delivery and using gloves to handle the box, then putting the pizza - box and all - into their oven preheated to 135-155F. After 15 minutes they remove it and enjoy.

We know these scenes well on the east coast. Many fled to CT from NYC. We watched the National Guard build field hospitals outside permanent hospitals. The governor may reopen the CT Convention Center to handle non-Covid patients. Refrigerated trucks supplemented morgues. Thousands of nursing home residents died; their caretakers trapped and falling ill. Fortunately, most people here accept the reality of the pandemic, but there's still disagreement about how to manage everything. And some folks thinking "yeah it's bad, but it won't happen to me."

It took the pandemic for me to start a flock. I thought about it years ago, but never acted. Back in April, on the day we couldn't find eggs and many other food items at the store, my husband said "Maybe we should get some chickens for eggs." And so here we are. Best thing we did during this scary time.
We're glad you joined and are enjoying this trip. And a long strange trip it has been.
Covid has a hugh impact on health care in Europe too. One of the problems of the health care system where I live is that many people stopped going to see doctors for a regular check, testing for early cancer and less severe health problems. Bc of this many more people have damaged themselves unnecessary or got too late in hospital for (less severe) treatment.

It happened to someone very dear to me too. She skipped cervical cancer control, got pregnant, and now she has a nasty cancer treatment and lost her baby. 😢

Good news is that they start vaccinating here in January. And expect to have vaccinated everyone (who dares) next summer. They expect most of the Covid limitations to end in 2021.
So sad for your friend.
I've actually been to the doctor more this year than I have in the last 20. It was difficult to do though. I didn't have a doctor because I just haven't needed one in so long. I still didn't need one but I was thinking that with my age, I may need one some day and I knew how hard it is to see a doctor if you don't have one. I started looking last December. By the time my first appointment came, Covid-19 was here and they were only doing virtual appointments. They rescheduled me twice. Then the doctor quit. I had to start the process all over. Two doctors later, I finally had my first in person apt. in September, then a follow up in October to review my blood work, then another follow up Monday. I have another apt. set for March. The great thing is my doctor is walking distance from here. Maybe a 25 minute walk.

It's funny how real the term "cheep therapy" has become, isn't it?
Between the extra hard molting season followed by icy cold, followed by fowl pox and coccidiosis in The Boy's run (NO losses! Wheee!) and regular nose-to-nose-through-the-wire meetings with our local mama fox, my girls have all stopped laying. I don't begrudge them a bit, though. The chicken therapy is well worth the cost and trouble. I can buy a few eggs now and then ...

If I understand things correctly, fifteen minutes at 135F deactivates the virus. I've heard of people ordering pizza delivery and using gloves to handle the box, then putting the pizza - box and all - into their oven preheated to 135-155F. After 15 minutes they remove it and enjoy.
We're going to have four teenagers here. I'm thinking that a couple of pizzas will disappear into bellies (and the fire, for boxes) before anyone can even think the word "virus," but we'll pop those puppies into the oven for a few - box and all - just in case.

Back
Top Bottom