Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Not sure where you saw any "anti-immigration rhetoric". The OP said "influx of illegal immigrants" and was wondering how that would effect things right now with the pandemic

"I'm mainly talking about letting in droves of people to come live here. We are having a hard enough time taking care of our current residents both medically and economically at this point."

Unfortunately, I could have cut these words out of a nationalist playbook.
Here's one!
https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:4012905$6i
(Fun fact, immigration totals now are similar in percentage of population to when this man wrote this book. Right before the 1918 pandemic at that.)

It said "hoards of immigrants" instead of "droves". You said it's too much to take care of our own people instead of "causes low standards of living". Americans first, well that's an old one.

If you feel that it's incorrect and you're sincerely NOT trying to use nationalist or anti-immigrant rhetoric, may I suggest you learn what it looks like (after all it's got a long and extremely well documented history, that book alone was written in 1917) so you can avoid it in the future?
The anti-defamation league has some great has some GREAT information about anti-immigration and nationalist dogwhistles so you can avoid using them in the future. :)

Last edited:
"I'm mainly talking about letting in droves of people to come live here. We are having a hard enough time taking care of our current residents both medically and economically at this point."

Unfortunately, I could have cut these words out of a nationalist playbook.
Here's one!
https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:4012905$6i

It said "hoards of immigrants" instead of "droves". You said it's too much to take care of our own people instead of "causes low standards of living". Americans first, well that's an old one.

If you feel that it's incorrect and you're sincerely NOT trying to use nationalist or anti-immigrant rhetoric, may I suggest you learn what it looks like (after all it's got a long and extremely well documented history, that book alone was written in 1917) so you can avoid it in the future?
The anti-defamation league has some great has some GREAT information about anti-immigration and nationalist dogwhistles so you can avoid using them in the future. :)
Again, no one said any thing about being anti-immigration. I think that is a huge over reach on your part to assume that.

Again, no one said any thing about being anti-immigration. I think that is a huge over reach on your part to assume that.

Ok, well, if you'd like to continue to use specific rhetoric associated with nationalist movements I can't stop you. But I tried to give a fair opportunity to disassociate from the movement or learn from it.

I don't think it's going to change COVID much in any case.

Personally I think the superbowl spike is going to be much more relevant. :T

Last edited:
I know a bunch of people who had zoom style parties for the superbowl. I mean, it's televised nationally at the same time everywhere. You can see other people's reactions with a video call. Seems to me like it should have been EZ to host the event digitally and still get most of the experience.

I've wanted to do something like that!

Guess what?

This morning they sent me a link to watch the video again. Yay for me because I was watching on my computer and listening on my friend's over FaceTime since the program audios weren't synched up and it was difficult to hear. I was still difficult listening on hers cause my hearing is deteriorating. So I'll get to watch it again.

But here's the thing. You can try the link they sent me too. I hope it will work for you. Here's the recipe so you can cook along if you like. But take note, the recipe says crush the garlic but on the video he grated his. He says if you grate it with a Microplane you don't have to peel it. I'm sure pressing it would give you the same results. And, of course giving it a good smash would likely work as well.

Let me know if this works for you.

https://vimeo.com/509539753
Password: Yotam2021!

Guess what?

This morning they sent me a link to watch the video again. Yay for me because I was watching on my computer and listening on my friend's over FaceTime since the program audios weren't synched up and it was difficult to hear. I was still difficult listening on hers cause my hearing is deteriorating. So I'll get to watch it again.

But here's the thing. You can try the link they sent me too. I hope it will work for you. Here's the recipe so you can cook along if you like. But take note, the recipe says crush the garlic but on the video he grated his. He says if you grate it with a Microplane you don't have to peel it. I'm sure pressing it would give you the same results. And, of course giving it a good smash would likely work as well.

It does work. ;) Ohohohohoho.

Guess what?

you are so thoughtful! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom