Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Everybody paying attention?
I disagree with the op-ed author on that point; which is why I was careful to point out those were not my words.

I know that all choices have consequences. For those for whom it is truly a choice, not vaccinating has consequences; one of which should be that the person takes every measure to avoid causing risk to vulnerable members of society. And with covid, you can't tell who is vulnerable, so those willfully unvaccinated would be responsible to voluntarily stay away from others, as a consequence of their free choice to not contribute to herd immunity.

Text in purple is factual; text in red is opinion.

Although you have a right to your own body, your choice to willfully be sick ends where another’s right to be healthy begins. For that reason, people who “opt out” of vaccines should be opted out of society.

Freedom doesn’t mean “I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.” You can’t drive without a seatbelt and you can’t ride a motorcycle without a helmet. When we choose to live in a society, there are certain obligations—both moral and legal—to which we are bound. You cannot inflict harm or infringe on the rights and liberties of those around you.

Your moral and legal obligations to the safety of others can even curtail combinations of your rights. Even though consuming alcohol and driving are both legal activities, they are not legal when performed together. Nearly 11,000 people die every year because people choose to exercise their “rights” inappropriately.

The exact same reasoning applies to vaccination.

There is no moral difference between a drunk driver and a willfully unvaccinated person.

I disagree with the author's first opinion; I agree with the last two. The substance of what I posted is factual, though. (Yes, even though it's an op-ed. Op-eds have facts; facts are kind of hard to get away from, actually.)

Back
Top Bottom