Pics
I picked up 2 ganders recently to keep my goose company. I put the ganders in a pen close to my goose, who was in with my ducks. No drama combining them and everyone gets along fine. They are pretty mellow, although I’ve never had an issue with aggression. Don’t pet them, don’t ever back down if they test you, and leave them be during breeding season in their own pen, and you should be.

I picked up 2 ganders recently to keep my goose company. I put the ganders in a pen close to my goose, who was in with my ducks. No drama combining them and everyone gets along fine. They are pretty mellow, although I’ve never had an issue with aggression. Don’t pet them, don’t ever back down if they test you, and leave them be during breeding season in their own pen, and you should be.
Welcome to BYC! Do you keep cotton patch geese? We would love to see some pics!

And yes, Chance has made it clear to everyone that he's only interested in BB right now. He will hiss and fluff his feathers at us sometimes but we all know it's just an act! 😂

Welcome to BYC! Do you keep cotton patch geese? We would love to see some pics![\quote]
The first picture is a gander that likes to follow me around and I think he wants to be picked up and pet. I have succumbed a few times.... Very sweet coming on 1 year.

The second is the other CPG gander (white) hanging out with my Shetland goose. He’s somewhat aggressive to the ducks and has injured a few. The goose spent time w/out another goose so she naturally stays with the ducks, but he would probably prefer a newlywed pen w/out the duck extended family. He’s never shown any aggression towards me, but this is my 1st breeding season with him.

Also in the photo are Saxony, Pekin and Dutch Hookbill ducks.

C06DCC8E-FEB4-4068-BC4C-B16155F5457B.jpeg
C441B214-7828-44DA-A076-DB327CEE0195.jpeg

Anyone have experience with cotton patch geese? I've found a breeder that is about 2 hrs from me, and honestly the heritage breed conservation intrigues me. I'm considering getting a pair and seeing how it goes. Wondering about their general temperament and noise level? I do have neighbors close by, that have not yet complained about my birds, but I imagine if it's constant honking there will be trouble.

Sound off in the comments please! Have one grey pom who is in need of a friend (or 2). So I'm definitely on the hunt for a buddy and would rather not wait until spring hatches, but I may have to, to be able to get another Pom. I did get an Embden for a short period of time, but that didn't work out. He was a jerk to the other birds and humans as well. I highly respect all of your knowledge and advice, so help me out guys!
I saw a CL ad for Buff Pom eggs in WV. I don't know if you
re set up for incubation or not. I wanted them, but she doesn't ship. I also saw an ad just east of Knoxville for a pair of Buff Poms. Good price, but still too far for me.

I'm all set up now for my own goslings! I ended up buying the Cotton Patch gander, and already had a female Pom.

They are very much a pair now, and tak9ng full advantage of those hormones right now 😂 I may go ahead and get NPIP certified so that I can ship out eggs next year for those with interest. They would be Pom/CP mix.

Morning friends! Haven't updated on Chance in a while because frankly, he's being a jerk....
His hormones have made him absolutely crazy! Still handsome, still healthy, but mean as can be!! 😂 We've had quite a few showdowns where I'm not sure if I was victorious or not...
20200404_074216.jpg

Back
Top Bottom