Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I'm trying to feed my birds an all organic diet since their eggs will be for personal consumption, after much research on the subject I came to the conclusion that there isn't any organic feed out there with enough protein for quails. My solution, I buy scratch and peck starter feed and supplemented with grown beef. My quails are 8 weeks old now and seemed to be very content with their feed. I divided one pound into 5 portions, every morning I mix one of the portions with their feed.

Thanks for the tip on scissors, I ordered them.
My quail are getting processed Saturday.
Do any of you ferment feed?
That's what I did for meat birds/turkeys to cut down on waste. Haven't been doing it for chickens/quail mainly because it's more work when it's so cold!!! I should get back into it. I'm also on a fodder thread, going to try to do that as well.
I couldn't do rabbits! Little too cute & furry. I have a hard time with the chickens even though I make DH do it all alone.
Rabbits stop being cute and fluffy after the claw your arms to bits a few times. They become tasty fur wrapped packages then!

Scissors just got here, all ready to process!
It was supposed to be almost 70 & sunny tomorrow morning, now they are saying raining & a high of 49
sad.png

Can't wait to try this quail meat!
Just remember that quail is a delicate flavor and don't overpower it with other flavors.

And this weather eh? It just sucks!

Someone had posted question about getting eggs and then wonder about pens later. I made this which has had as many as 108 adult quail in it at one time. Yes it was crowded. I was designing to use 1 sheet of plywood. The dims are 3' wide and 7' long. I have it to where I can slide a plywood divider and make 3 sections. One end has plywood cover and has heat lamb in end. I use it for brooder til they get so big, then open up another section. I have 1/2" wire for floor and 1"x2" wire for top in wood frame. I wired lamp to light switch so I can plug it up and flip switch as needed. I use a 4 gallon jug for water and use nipple waterers. I have 2 gqf plastic feeders that hold about 5 lb of feed each.

Works great. I made a brooder out of 100 qt tupperware tub with 1" hole in top and heat lamp in one end on a dimmer switch to control heat. I use doggy pee pads in bottom to absorb urine and use shavings. It works great til about 2 weeks when I move them to the above setup.

Both are very cheap, easy to clean. I have since purchased 3 large black tub from Lowe's to put under the plywood unit to catch the crap for easy removal to compost pile. I swapped size of tubs at last moment and my pen isn't long enough for 4 tubs, so next one will be a tad longer.

Don't know if this has already been answered but do adults need heat in winter? I live in WV and am getting me some quail eggs soon. Also what about dust bathing? Grit or oyster shell? Also can I or should I put live plants in the pen?
Mine are fine outside, and this time of year it is routinely in the single digits and negative numbers here. They have run in sheds and hides where they can escape the weather when it gets really cold. Their favorite spot is inside a dogloo dog house I have set up in the pen with them, followed by the tangles of pine branches and hay I leave for them to hide in. The pen will look empty when I go out when it's really cold, but as soon as they see me with food they suddenly materialize out of nowhere!

My favorite rooster in the snow..

Our primary flock overwinters with the pheasants

They like natural hides as much as the man made ones!

Back
Top Bottom