Could be egg bound HELP ASAP!!!!

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
My little Easter Egger is about 8 months old. She has been laying fine and good. yesterday I noticed she was just moving slow then I noticed what appeared to be part of a shell les egg on her bottom so I got a paper towl and removed it. She laid and egg after that and hasn't hardly moved any at all since and that was yesterday morning,

My little Easter Egger is about 8 months old. She has been laying fine and good. yesterday I noticed she was just moving slow then I noticed what appeared to be part of a shell les egg on her bottom so I got a paper towl and removed it. She laid and egg after that and hasn't hardly moved any at all since and that was yesterday morning,
she is not egg bound if she is still laying. While new layers can lay a shell-less egg(i have seen this happen)often it is just a glitch in their reproductive system,it can also indicate something else is going on.

How does her poop look? Is she eating/drinking? Could she be going broody? Repost with condition of her poop,this can tell us a lot about what could be going on. Discharge may not have been a shell-less egg,this is why examining poop is so important.

Here is a link explaining egg binding.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Do your girls have access to oyster shells/crushed egg shells for extra calcium?

Last edited:
Her poop was runny like egg slimy. I know it was a shelless egg cause the skin of the egg was on her bottom. She was drinking yesterday but she is still in the coop today. she came out when I went to let everyone free range but she went back in the coop and is sitting on the floor. but her poop was slimy runny yesterday. I know this cause she came in my house and laid her egg in my potted plant and after she laid it she pooped in my floor and I wiped it up and it was slimy like egg.

Her poop was runny like egg slimy. I know it was a shelless egg cause the skin of the egg was on her bottom. She was drinking yesterday but she is still in the coop today. she came out when I went to let everyone free range but she went back in the coop and is sitting on the floor. but her poop was slimy runny yesterday. I know this cause she came in my house and laid her egg in my potted plant and after she laid it she pooped in my floor and I wiped it up and it was slimy like egg.
Is she eating/drinking,how does her poop look?

I have recently started feeding them egg shells. They free range most of the time. She is eating and drinking. She was doing some better mid day. It may have just been the trama of an egg with no shell. I had one do it before and she stood still for a good long time but not all day. I will let you know more in the morning when they come out. hopefully she will be back to herself.

She was almost back to her self today. she still a little slow going. I guess her having a shell less egg may have hurt or even burned coming out. I have no idea but she wasn't feeling good. thank you

When ours started laying I had to make sure I gave them oyster shell and/ or egg shell to harden the shells and assist them in laying. I had been lurking the forums for awhile and didn't know I had to have it for them! They all started laying thin shells or shelless eggs because of it and I didn't have them on layer feed yet. One of them was lethargic after having a shelless egg break inside, it took her a good 2 weeks to get to normal. I had even flushed her vent out gently with diluted saline solution and got more egg mess out. She eventually became an internal layer and died, something wasn't right with her egg production organs. I had to quickly change things over for them. They got the hang of laying in 10 days and the shells became nice and firm.

I now have grit and oyster shell available for them whenever they want it in little containers in run and coop.

Thank you, she has always laid good. she is around 7 or 8 months old but she lays good, she is even better today
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom