Could my chicks have mites?

JustAChickenMom4

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
So I just got some silkie bantam chicks there 5 days old and they keep nibbling there feathers it seems like something’s bothering them, they also peep really loud, they have a heat source, food, and water, what should I do? Is this normal? Also sorry the picture is not the best and kind of blurry

So I just got some silkie bantam chicks there 5 days old and they keep nibbling there feathers it seems like something’s bothering them, they also peep really loud, they have a heat source, food, and water, what should I do? Is this normal? Also sorry the picture is not the best and kind of blurry
Hi, have you seen any mites crawling on them? It is possible they have them but it is more likely if they have already had contact with other birds. I know tractor supply sells a mite spray that I use on my hens but I'm not sure how old the chicken needs to be. Chicks do preen but if you think it is more than that you should definitely try something. I've heard of people putting ACV in their chicken's water. Personally my chickens snub their nose at it so I can't say if it works or not though. The ACV is supposed to make their blood taste bad I guess. As for the loud peeping I've had chicks that peep loudly when they are lonely or want attention but again if you think it is more than that you should definitely treat them. Mites can kill chickens, especially young ones so better safe than sorry. Good luck!

Hi, have you seen any mites crawling on them? It is possible they have them but it is more likely if they have already had contact with other birds. I know tractor supply sells a mite spray that I use on my hens but I'm not sure how old the chicken needs to be. Chicks do preen but if you think it is more than that you should definitely try something. I've heard of people putting ACV in their chicken's water. Personally my chickens snub their nose at it so I can't say if it works or not though. The ACV is supposed to make their blood taste bad I guess. As for the loud peeping I've had chicks that peep loudly when they are lonely or want attention but again if you think it is more than that you should definitely treat them. Mites can kill chickens, especially young ones so better safe than sorry. Good luck!
Thank you! I will definitely check for mites, I hang with my chicks a lot and they seem pretty happy but I will make sure every peep is happy and no one feels lonely, thanks again!

Peeping really loud means discomfort of some kind, they may be either too hot or too cold. Have you checked everybody for pasty butt? If they are cold they will huddle together to try to get warm. If they are hot they will pant, stand with their wings held away from their bodies and try to get as far away from the heat source as they can. If you have several chicks there is no reason for them to feel lonely and they don't crave human attention.

There was no picture. Do you have a thermometer in the bottom of the brooder so you know how hot it is in there? Is there an area away from the heat so they can cool off if they want to?

Peeping really loud means discomfort of some kind, they may be either too hot or too cold. Have you checked everybody for pasty butt? If they are cold they will huddle together to try to get warm. If they are hot they will pant, stand with their wings held away from their bodies and try to get as far away from the heat source as they can. If you have several chicks there is no reason for them to feel lonely and they don't crave human attention.
Oh thank you! Turns out they had pasty butt, there all cleaned up now and doing pretty well!

There was no picture. Do you have a thermometer in the bottom of the brooder so you know how hot it is in there? Is there an area away from the heat so they can cool off if they want to?
It glitched and the picture didn’t load, I actually didn’t know people put thermometers in there brooder! And yes there’s a place for them to cool of and get water and food. Thank you!

They're likely just preening and taking the egg fluid off their down.
Acv won't prevent or treat any type of internal or external pest.
Hehe yea they where, I think I was just paranoid sense I have not had chicks for a while, they did have pasty butt though.

It glitched and the picture didn’t load, I actually didn’t know people put thermometers in there brooder! And yes there’s a place for them to cool of and get water and food. Thank you!
Word to the wise: put thermometer in a plastic bag. We use a thermometer that's like a big, round clock, very easy to read. Change the plastic bag every few days as it gets poopy!

Back
Top Bottom