Coyotes vs Wolves

Quote:
Please take caution when doing this. I have not researched the facts, but the Vet I worked for said Parvo can contaminate the ground for up to a year. This means, any domestic dogs can pick this up as well. It's biological warfare, but it affects pets as well. Just take caution, please.

Anybody who had a pet die of Parvo knows the heartbreak and stress it can cause, as well as the $$$+ in vet bills.

I'm not saying it will not work, neither am I criticizing the person who posted. I am only giving a warning or a disclaimer.

-Kim

Coyotes are not that hard to trap, my guess is if they are springing a trap and taking a dump, you used to small a trap, old weak traps, or traps burried to deep with chunks of dirt, sticks ect that slowed it down,,,and they eventually pulled out.

I have had none I could not get rid of.

As someone that runs hounds on coyotes if my hounds got sick from parvo (they are properly vaccinated and kept up to date, but you've got pups at home who's immunity isn't what an adult dogs is and there's various strains of parvo that your vaccines might not work effectively on) and I found out someone did what was mentioned about trying to purposefully introduce parvo into the population I'd have everyone from the local game commission, EPA, Dept of Ag, local news and papers, on your butt and I'd take the time and expense to sue you. We gotta think outside of our own little bubbles we live in. Everything we do effects each other. Sometimes effectiveness needs to take a back seat to appropriate and consequences need to be well thought out beforehand. Keystonepaul

When I got my German Shepard pup, I wanted to get her out and about meeting people and socalizing her. I wanted a people friendly dog. But my vet warned me to wait until she had all her shots because parvo is so common here in NC. So, my guess(and an uneducated one at that) is that the coyotes in NC have probably already been exposed to parvo.

Quote:
I agree... I do currently have my coop, run and area they free range under a yard light. I also have a motion light near by and I have seen it come on and look out and sure enough there was a critter. I put a critter cam out and saw racoons, dogs, squirls, possums, cats, rabits, birds, but no cayotes. I also did this same thing,

Tape a good bright flashlight with a pusbutton ON/OFF switch along the under side of the barrel of your .22 rifle. Shim it so that it shines right where the rifle is pointing when you turn it on. The ON/OFF switch should be right near your thumb when you are holding the rifle up and aiming it. Now you have an anti-coyote weapon that is effective 24/7.​

Last edited:
Idk if you can get any, but We can buy wolf urine in our feedstore as well as fox urine. People use it around their Cow & Calf pens and the coyotes back off. I know how much trouble they are. The ones here will walk right up and almost touch you. 1 tried to mate my dog and probably would have got away with it had i not been right there.
hmm.png

I have heard about using urine.
We have some around where I live and they are mixed

Last edited:
Motion lights only deter coyotes the first few times. Our walk right through the yard and now the motion light up at the coop doesn't even faze them.

We've not had any through in about 5 months. My husband has taken one down with a hollowpoint .22, but it was a well placed shot.

The 30.06 drops them in their tracks. We're considering saving up and purchasing a trap as winter is closing in. Our feed store stocks them for about $75.00, and winter is when they get the worst.

Good luck-
Em

We have found that a yard light lets us see who/what is out there IF we look out at the right time. If we are awake and notice a motion light come on, then we can look out at the right time but a motion light turning on won't wake us up. Neither does it keep critters away for very long......
PS A report on the news yesterday has indicated a definite rise in violent crime since we got our new gun laws a few years ago. The political party who passed the laws say that this proves they weren't tough enough. A lot of us think otherwise--for some reason those committing the crimes just don't choose to obey those new laws. Kinda like making it illegal for dogs to run at large, then asking you to turn in your guns because they have "solved" the problem.....
sad.png

Around here the Fox only inhabit the towns cause the Coyotes eat 'em. And they are bold, just so many people that they are used to the scent.

Back
Top Bottom