Coyotes vs Wolves

I have heard tale of coyotes being around NC but have never heard tale of one being caught or killed or even photographed for that matter. I am completely cool with that though. I have the fire power to take care of them, but I would be much happier if I never had to deal with one at all. There are always stories of coyotes, mountian lion, wolves, ect... here, but I'm not sure how true they are. Are there any of you from NC that can substantiate these stories??

Quote:
I've seen two in the past year. Around here they tend to look like small grey wolves. I am in Fayetteville and it's fairly developed around here. The first coyote I saw, was laying dead in the road. At first glance I thought it was a Grey Wolf. I was floored, but then I realize it was pretty small to be a Grey Wolf. Besides, many wolves in NC are the reintroduced Red Wolves and this was the completely wrong color.

The second we were outside one night and the whole neighborhood of dogs were barking like mad. Usually when a person or dog is walking down the street, there is a "wave" affect of barks, but this time the whole neighborhood was lit up. Dad went to look to see what was going on and whistled at something. I asked him what it was and he said it was a large weird looking fox, but it was the size of our small German Shepherd(60-70lbs). I looked up pics of Red Wolves and he said "no" it's the wrong color, I looked up pics of NC Coyotes and he said that's it.

So they are around, just sneaky and wary things. I can vouch for them in NC. They can be found in every county of NC. There are even recorded attacks on humans and children by coyotes. Just google "NC coyote" and you'll find the sources.

-Kim

Last edited:
Quote:
So, has the Government of Canada really fooled themselves into thinking that crime is now lower?
Or, are they realizing that now, ONLY criminals have guns? And made criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens?
I fear we here in the States may be heading in that direction too.

Quote:
So, has the Government of Canada really fooled themselves into thinking that crime is now lower?
Or, are they realizing that now, ONLY criminals have guns? And made criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens?
I fear we here in the States may be heading in that direction too.

I know. Scary aint it?

Quote:
I am in Harnett County, close to Ft Bragg. I have never seen a coyote in NC but according to this article they are in Harnett county. The article has a picture of a captured coyote.

http://www.mydailyrecord.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=76450

This is also from the article

Controlling coyotes means studying them, trapping them and disposing of them with a shotgun. So far Mr. Gardner, who grew so frustrated he became a certified wildlife damage control agent, has destroyed 29 coyotes in the last two years on his properties in Harnett and Cumberland counties

I did see coyotes twice in Eastern Washington State, but I lived there a year before I saw any. We used to hear them sometimes at night though. ALso, people were warned not to let their cats roam. Strange to think that coyotes are here in NC.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't remember who it was but someone on this forum reported that they(the human owners of the property) kept out unwanted animals by urinating along their property. I have no idea if this would work.
idunno.gif

Coyotes are smart animals; they learn. You may trap one, but after that, they just spring the trap and poop on it. They also learn about fire arms. They will figure out you will not shoot at them if there is a cow or horse in the field of fire.

Sadly, the best way to handle them is to find a dog that is dying of parvo and let it contaminate the fence line.

Rufus

Ok guys think about this, a canine of any kind makes it's living with it's nose. Now as you move about your property you shed millions of skin cells all over the place so your ind. scent is already there. Rain or water? it enhances the scent, as anyone with bloodhounds or trained tracking dogs can verify. No urine doesn't work, your property is already saturated with your scent.

Quote:
Darn nnbreeder. You have ruined my plans for a fun family activity.

"No kids, I am sorry. The plan to drink lots of soda and all us take turns peeing on the fences is called off because it won't work."
gig.gif

Sadly, as the mother of two boys, I admit that my sons would have been overjoyed to have run around marking items in the yard.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom