Crackle or Ideal

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Alex961, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Alex961

Alex961 Out Of The Brooder

Hello everyone I am going to buy some silkies from ether Crackle or Ideal Hatchery. Which one to you reccomend and please post some Pictures of the Silkies. Also if you have any suggestions of other Hatchery please post them. Thanks! -Alex

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I think its Cackle [​IMG]

3. William Grace

William Grace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Lawrenceburg,TN
    Quote:Hi Alex961
    I have never order from Cackle Hatchery. I have order from Ideal Hatchery for many years and I have always been happy with them.[​IMG]

William Grace

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:Hi Alex961
    I have never order from Cackle Hatchery. I have order from Ideal Hatchery for many years and I have always been happy with them.[​IMG]

William Grace

I always order from Cackle & they have good birds. I haven't ordered from Ideal yet. Sounds like they both have good poultry.

5. NEK38583

NEK38583 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Sparta, TN
    I have order from cackle many times. I usually order twice a year 50 plus birds in each order. The birds are great qualty. I reccomend pre-ordering that way you will not have to wait so long. I got some BTW japenese from them and I decided to sale them(I always buy more than I need and sale some off) . The woman who brought them showed them and won with them in a bantam show. If that says anything. I hope that helps.

6. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I've had silkie chicks from both hatcheries and I would say hands down Cackle for silkies. All were bearded had nice crests and foot feathering. The silkies I got from Ideal out of 5 I kept one partridge which turned out to be a hen. The rest weren't very pretty. I would order silkies from Cackle again.

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    cackle doesn't ship chicks to va. because of the extra testing. ideal does.

8. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

For silkies I would go with Cackle. I was very happy with mine last summer!

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Been ordering from Cackle for years. Try to get birds that are close to you. Easier on the chicks.

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    never ordered from Cackle, did get some silkies for color projects from Ideal last year, wasnt expecting much as they are hatchery stock, but Lord they looked like buzzards, gave them all away, they were fuzzy that was about the only silkie trait they possesed. I wouldnt even usue them just for color projects, they would have taken too much away from the breed. Also heard of many others with the same problem out of them. They have great birds for a hatchery in their other breeds. But their silkies are horrible as bad as I hate to say it.
    Honestly, if you want some nice ones, there are lots of breeders on here that sell silkie chicks, or eggs... Just depends on what quality you are looking for. From a hatchery, pet quality is all you can hope for, just keep that in mind.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by