Crazy Heat... Twice the Eggs?

DragonEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Borger, TX
I've got a trio of Seramas. They finally recovered from fowl pox a little over a week ago. I knew because the roo started crowing and doing his "manly duties" again. Then a few days ago one of the girls started laying again. I suspected it wasn't fertile since it had been so long since she layed, but I blew it out and checked it anyway and sure enough it was fertile! I was so proud! The next day, no egg, no big deal. The girls had always layed every other day. Few extra treats, scrambled eggs, some fish, some fatty meat, the next day (yesterday) another egg! Good girl! Then I noticed that broody fever was going around in Seramas lately. Everyone in the area with Seramas has hens going broody, so I thought, maybe.... and I left the egg in there. Today I checked the nest box again, the egg from yesterday was stll in Hen #1's box and there was an egg in Hen #2's box. Great, I thought, they've both started to lay again! I went to the store, gone for about 2 hours, come home and check the nest box and now Hen #2's box has 3 eggs in it! Hen #1 still has her original egg from yesterday. The only thing I can figure is that Hen #2 layed her first egg late yesterday sometime (I last checed them at 5 pm) and then maybe they both laid an egg in Hen #2's box today. Only thing is... I SWARE I saw only the first hen's egg in there this morning. 2 of each egg is colored differently so I know 2 came from each hen. It's been 99-100+ these last couple days. Crazy Huh? I don't think Serama's often lay 2 eggs at once so it leads me to believe I just missed that second egg at some point. Lets just hope for some broodiness now!

Back
Top Bottom