Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Heres the butter colored Legbar cross. When she first hatched I thought she was a surprise white sport because she was yellow chipmunk striped, but its now evident shes a cross.
Looks like dominant white is involved turning her into a sort of Red Pyle color . In Old English game dominant white turns Black Breasted Red into Red Pyle . Dominant white removes black better than red .
Hey, your pullet looks exactly like the hybrids I have been hatching out! I have not been able to figure out what genetics are going on. I used my cream Legbar rooster over this clean faced Easter Egger:
I will try to add a photo of the offspring if my phone stops acting up. But half of them hatched out just like yours, and the other half hatched out brown with chipmunk stripes. Except that my cream colored ones did not have yellow stripes on them. They were just solid yellow like any white chicken starts out. So far I do not really understand the dominant white locus very well.

Hey, your pullet looks exactly like the hybrids I have been hatching out! I have not been able to figure out what genetics are going on. I used my cream Legbar rooster over this clean faced Easter Egger:

I will try to add a photo of the offspring if my phone stops acting up. But half of them hatched out just like yours, and the other half hatched out brown with chipmunk stripes. Except that my cream colored ones did not have yellow stripes on them. They were just solid yellow like any white chicken starts out.

So far I do not really understand the dominant white locus very well.
Your hen looks like a red Pyle . So here is what is going on in the genetics . Your Red Pyle has 1 copy dominant white . Legbar are based on Light Brown color . Very similar to BB Red . So in that cross only half of the chicks inherit the dominant white to create Red Pyle the rest are Light Brown , BB Red or EE partridge color or a combination of these .

Hey, your pullet looks exactly like the hybrids I have been hatching out! I have not been able to figure out what genetics are going on. I used my cream Legbar rooster over this clean faced Easter Egger: I will try to add a photo of the offspring if my phone stops acting up. But half of them hatched out just like yours, and the other half hatched out brown with chipmunk stripes. Except that my cream colored ones did not have yellow stripes on them. They were just solid yellow like any white chicken starts out. So far I do not really understand the dominant white locus very well.
Your hen looks like a red Pyle . So here is what is going on in the genetics . Your Red Pyle has 1 copy dominant white . Legbar are based on Light Brown color . Very similar to BB Red . So in that cross only half of the chicks inherit the dominant white to create Red Pyle the rest are Light Brown , BB Red or EE partridge color or a combination of these .
Thank you so much! I have never heard of Red Pyle before. And all I could find about dominant white made me think it should turn the chicks completely white, not cream. When I tried to search what my EE hen was, she didn't match anything I could find. The closest I could guess was Dun or Khaki. Which I guess also reside at the Dominant White locus? But for my hen to be Khaki, which is two factors of Dun, or sometimes called Dun Splash, then she would have had to pass a copy of the dun to every chick, not just half. And that wouldn't make them the same as her. So I knew she couldn't be Khaki. That's where I hit a dead end. So this Red Pyle, it occurs when dominant white is on a Light Brown based bird? Does dominant white then only make snow white birds when they are black based? I think I need to do some research on Red Pyle. One other thing. Up until recently, all of these "cream" (rather, Red Pyle) chicks have been girls that I know of. But I now found one of them to be a cockerel and I decided to keep it. So I guess I can expect him to look very different from his sisters. (Based on a quick google image search of Red Pyle game birds.) I am so thrilled to have an answer to this mystery!

Thank you so much! I have never heard of Red Pyle before. And all I could find about dominant white made me think it should turn the chicks completely white, not cream.

When I tried to search what my EE hen was, she didn't match anything I could find. The closest I could guess was Dun or Khaki. Which I guess also reside at the Dominant White locus? But for my hen to be Khaki, which is two factors of Dun, or sometimes called Dun Splash, then she would have had to pass a copy of the dun to every chick, not just half. And that wouldn't make them the same as her. So I knew she couldn't be Khaki. That's where I hit a dead end.

So this Red Pyle, it occurs when dominant white is on a Light Brown based bird? Does dominant white then only make snow white birds when they are black based? I think I need to do some research on Red Pyle.

One other thing. Up until recently, all of these "cream" (rather, Red Pyle) chicks have been girls that I know of. But I now found one of them to be a cockerel and I decided to keep it. So I guess I can expect him to look very different from his sisters. (Based on a quick google image search of Red Pyle game birds.)

I am so thrilled to have an answer to this mystery!
Yes Black Breasted Red in Old English game is what Red Pyle is based on . Light Brown is the same gene but different expression . Light brown has black stripes in the hackle and saddle . Partridge is same but other genes involved also . Males are very similar in all these . Silver is often found in pure white dominant white . Silver removes the traces of red . Buff laced white in Polish and Sebrite is simply Golden Laced with 2 copies dominant white . Removing black lightens the Golden to buff .

Ah, I see. Now I know what you meant when you said above that dominant white is better at removing black than red. The black disappears completely, but the red just fades.

So then, does it make a difference if there is one copy of dominant white vs two copies? (Is it complete dominance or incomplete?)

Ah, I see. Now I know what you meant when you said above that dominant white is better at removing black than red. The black disappears completely, but the red just fades.

So then, does it make a difference if there is one copy of dominant white vs two copies? (Is it complete dominance or incomplete?)
One copy can leave some black specks . Here is another color for you . In Millie Fleur the addition of dominant white turns it into Gold Neck as in Belgian D'uccle .
This hen is based on black with one copy dominate white .

Those EE hens that you are talking about. They are not Red Pyles.

They are a Blue Red Splash. The white part on them are usually Blue but blue not being able to breed true they produce Blue Red= 50%, Black Gold=!25% and Splash= 25%.

I've had so many of those on the past. Produced a lot of them too.

Here are legbar hen chicks with Marans roo over... I thought they were sexlinks. All are either black or blue... No head spots or anything. The yellow with the chipmunk stripes is from the EE with Bielefelder roo...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom