creating a "second story" in the run to increase available space?

chickenkeeper1010

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2023
Hi, I'm custom building a run that provides the roughly 10 sq ft chicken (they will not free range, too risky here). The run is walk-in, and 6 feet high. Are there examples of how to add additional "space available" by utilizing this vertical space, similar to how a second story adds square footage to a house within the same foot print? And does that even make sense? Thanks for your patience- first timer here.

Oh yes, it makes sense :)… We are planning on putting a second level in our run too, just haven’t got around to it.
Ours is also six feet high. I’m planning on just placing a platform (from plywood) on top of heavy duty braces and then making a chicken garden up there.
I can post a picture of the plan if you would like :)

Can you share what your design plan is? For example, is it as simple as running some 2x4 ramps along the side about 3 feet up, or is it adding a "loft", etc. Thank you! I'm obsessed but can't seem to get my head wrapped around it.

I think the hard part would be the flooring of a "second story run" and in particular, how you would keep it clean and manage it from ground level. That said, other things to consider are perch bars going across the corners of the run and spanning different areas to add some dimensions. If you have a picture of the space I'm sure people can help offer other suggestions

Can you share what your design plan is? For example, is it as simple as running some 2x4 ramps along the side about 3 feet up, or is it adding a "loft", etc. Thank you! I'm obsessed but can't seem to get my head wrapped around it.
One idea would be to add perches rather than a solid second floor. The issue with a second floor is you will have to deal with cleaning it as it will accumulate poop. But you could have a whole multi level jungle gym and use the full height.
I have a couple of perches mounted on brackets - but I came across this on the omlet website which might give you some inspiration. Sort of like constructing a tree for them right in the middle of their run.
https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/customizable-chicken-perch-poletree/

This is the plan for my own run, which is long and narrow. Sorry for the somewhat sloppy sketch!

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpeg
    IMG_2505.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 24
I think the hard part would be the flooring of a "second story run" and in particular, how you would keep it clean and manage it from ground level. That said, other things to consider are perch bars going across the corners of the run and spanning different areas to add some dimensions. If you have a picture of the space I'm sure people can help offer other suggestions
I was going to do a little vegetable garden up there that the chickens can peck at the herbs growing through the wire covering it. I got the idea from a book at the library but I don’t have a picture of it.

Of course I don’t know what the OP was planning just that’s my two cents 🙂.

Back
Top Bottom