Creating the Corvalla! A chicken that looks like a crow

I did share some things with another breeder and thought we started something together, but they don’t want a chicken as small as a crow and they want larger eggs so I told them if they don’t stick to crow or raven sizes they really aren’t following the goal for this new breed and the person should just have fun with Sumatra. 🤦🏻‍♀️
The Ravens I see here are bigger than my Muscovies

Also, if you want more of a crow look, breed towards what's called crow face, it's typically seen as a flaw in other breeds though. It makes tha face long, & slender. I saw it mentioned in my Book of SOP.

Here's an example of crow face. She's a Malay with poor face quality. View attachment 3033392The Modern Games also is a good example of crow face. Since their standard calls for a very slender, sleek bird.
And Modern Game roosters seem to have short tail feathers, correct?

Those who free range their chickens have had problems or fears with regards raptors preying on the flock, whether they are hawks, eagles or owls. There are a number of deterrent ideas to utilize, one of which being to put crow decoys around which need to be consistently moved around and cannot follow the flock, another being to own black chickens. The idea behind owning black chickens is that hawks might think they’re intimidating crows that are known for bullying predators to stay out of their territory. Some hawks however are smart enough to learn that a big red comb, heavy body and upright tail posture does not a crow make, and so will prey upon black chickens the same as any other color.

My goal is to make a chicken that looks enough like a crow or raven to make hawks wary if not fearful to make a dive for the flock. Ideal features for the project:
  • Black feathers
  • Black skin and beak
  • Black or dark brown eyes
  • No comb or wattles if possible
  • Compact body mass
  • Slanted body carriage
  • Short, downward pointing tail
  • Good forager
  • Body length head to tail between 17-25” (crow body length is 17-19” and raven body length is 22-27”)
  • Weight between 1lb-2.5lbs

The breeds I’m thinking of that could help me with these traits and what they bring to this project are:
🐓 Black Bantam Sumatra (fibromelanistic, small size, lean to medium build, pea comb, minimal wattles, horizontal tail carriage, “wild game-bird” personality, alert, hardy, good foragers)
🐓 Black Bantam Cubalaya (black feathers, small size, pea comb, minimal wattles, lean build, downward tail cartiage, alert, good foragers, hardy, smart, friendly
🐓 My own mix 🤫😉 (black skin, black feathers, pea or no comb, smallish size, small to no wattles, wary/alert, good foragers, smart)

And maybe:
🐓 Svart Hona (fibromelanistic, smallish size, shorter tail, alert, good foragers, calm, hardy)

The overall length of the hen would be more important than the weight, as we are going for visual trickery. Roosters would not be as visually deceiving as hens with the long curled tails, larger combs (in comparison to hens) and crowing so the standard would focus more on the hen matching these ideals. Egg color, toe number, spurs and other features will not be focused on for this project since those do not factor into the trickery. Because this will be a breed meant to keep free ranging chickens safe, the personality will lean towards good foraging and alertness.

I was told that @nicalandia could offer some advice?

[Disclaimer: I did not take all of these pictures and do not seek compensation for these photos. They are only meant to better convey the subject matter to the reader]
what breed of chicken is picture number three? I have one with a black pea comb but has light feathering on the feet. Was born with so called copper marans. thanks in advance!

Those who free range their chickens have had problems or fears with regards raptors preying on the flock, whether they are hawks, eagles or owls. There are a number of deterrent ideas to utilize, one of which being to put crow decoys around which need to be consistently moved around and cannot follow the flock, another being to own black chickens. The idea behind owning black chickens is that hawks might think they’re intimidating crows that are known for bullying predators to stay out of their territory. Some hawks however are smart enough to learn that a big red comb, heavy body and upright tail posture does not a crow make, and so will prey upon black chickens the same as any other color.

My goal is to make a chicken that looks enough like a crow or raven to make hawks wary if not fearful to make a dive for the flock. Ideal features for the project:
  • Black feathers
  • Black skin and beak
  • Black or dark brown eyes
  • No comb or wattles if possible
  • Compact body mass
  • Slanted body carriage
  • Short, downward pointing tail
  • Good forager
  • Body length head to tail between 17-25” (crow body length is 17-19” and raven body length is 22-27”)
  • Weight between 1lb-2.5lbs

The breeds I’m thinking of that could help me with these traits and what they bring to this project are:
🐓 Black Bantam Sumatra (fibromelanistic, small size, lean to medium build, pea comb, minimal wattles, horizontal tail carriage, “wild game-bird” personality, alert, hardy, good foragers)
🐓 Black Bantam Cubalaya (black feathers, small size, pea comb, minimal wattles, lean build, downward tail cartiage, alert, good foragers, hardy, smart, friendly
🐓 My own mix 🤫😉 (black skin, black feathers, pea or no comb, smallish size, small to no wattles, wary/alert, good foragers, smart)

And maybe:
🐓 Svart Hona (fibromelanistic, smallish size, shorter tail, alert, good foragers, calm, hardy)

The overall length of the hen would be more important than the weight, as we are going for visual trickery. Roosters would not be as visually deceiving as hens with the long curled tails, larger combs (in comparison to hens) and crowing so the standard would focus more on the hen matching these ideals. Egg color, toe number, spurs and other features will not be focused on for this project since those do not factor into the trickery. Because this will be a breed meant to keep free ranging chickens safe, the personality will lean towards good foraging and alertness.

I was told that @nicalandia could offer some advice?

[Disclaimer: I did not take all of these pictures and do not seek compensation for these photos. They are only meant to better convey the subject matter to the reader]
what is the chicken in picture number 3?

It's a high percentage Sumatra. Possibly a hatchery Sumatra.
1656604010084.png

what is this breed?

Back
Top Bottom