crowded chickens... won't use new coop

Andiexb

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 20, 2012
San Diego, CA
I am wondering how people deal with having too many chickens for one coop? here's my predicament:

I have 2 decent sized coops in the run. one of them, the original, is preferred for sleeping, while the other, they prefer for laying their eggs... The original is only about 6x8 feet and i feel is too small for my 14 chickens. the second one is 8x5 and has a much nicer set up for me to get in and clean... it also has more roosting space. the front is completely open, with plastic doors on top i shut for rain. Like i said the chickens prefer these nesting boxes, but won't roost in it. I have tried putting them in at night, and they will stay, but the next night they're all cramped into the old coop again.

I guess I'm just wondering, if its too overcrowded in the original, will they move out? theres not much squabbling now, but as the younger ones age and get a little bigger, i worry about the space. also chickens are quite addicting...

heres some pics of the original:

and the new one:

as you can see they are right next to each other...

any input would be appreciated!

The original looks nicer from a chicken standpoint, better ventilation, more of a view of everything. Maybe cut more windows into the new one, or move it so its an extension of the first instead of a second coop?

try widening the roosts in the new one tom2x2 lumber or tree branches of similar diameter. The roosts look very thin in the new one

Ok yea I was thinking about cutting some holes for ventilation. I'm going to make a connecting bridge between them and see if that might help.

but these roosts are too small maybe? They are broom stick handles

broomstick handles are only around an inch maybe an inch and a half diameter they need 2- 2.5 inch diameter roosts to get their toes in the right place

I have the same problem, my 4 hens have a coop available with perches, but instead they decide to huddle together in a small wooden box about the size of a small dogs house which has no perches i intended it to be used as an extra outside nest box they lay eggs in the proper coop i put the same bedding in both and when i tried taking away the box they all perched in an apple tree growing inside there fenced in area so i had to put it back. Any ideas on what i can do would be appreciated:)

Back
Top Bottom