Culled a hen found something really weird inside - pics... not to graphic

demerson

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 3, 2011
Otego NY
Had an old leghorn gal thats been with us so long I can't really say how old she is ( was already laying when we got her) ... at least 5 years ...
So she showed signs of being egg bound we did all the stuff you're supposed to for it and it didn't help .... so today I culled her and decided to see exactly what egg bound looks like inside and maybe figure out why nothing we did helped.
I cut her open and I pulled out one giant egg .... it was like the kind you find once in a while with the weird rubbery shell only I had cut through that before I realized what it was ... the pictures are of the "yolk" that was inside that ... anyone seen this before ? I haven't but I am sort of new to chickens as far as any problems ... kind of freaked me out a little hahaha.

I cut it open and it appeared to be all one piece ..... very weird

Don't know what those are but they look more like some kind of tumor. I am new enough not to have any experience (yet) with clulling old birds. Sure would like to hear from folks that have experience on this one.

I'm guessing that both were a form of egg yolk peritonitis. Mine was definitely an egg, maybe many that got backed up after the first one got stuck.

Last edited:
It was like a giant hard boiled egg yolk I cut it through the middle and it seemed to be one solid piece ....very weird

Back
Top Bottom