Culling chicks, the hard talk

So sorry! Unfortunately, for school, we have to do a lot of culling. For small, small chicks, the best method is to take scissors, place the neck between the handles and pinch so that it crushes the spinal column without cutting the head off and leaving a bloody mess. For anything larger, the most humane method is cervical dislocation. You take the feet in one hand facing upwards, the head in the other with your middle and index finger on the bottom of the beak and pull out and down until you feel a pop. You'll be able to see a gap in the neck where the spine snapped. Careful not to pull too hard/rapidly so that you rip the head off (won't cause them pain but a mess) and don't go overly slow or you risk causing pain and distress. Performing it is the worst, and it sounds horrible, but it is an extremely humane method that minimizes suffering, more humane than any form of gassing.

Last edited:
I was wondering about having to cull also. especially chicks. My son had to do my first and only sick chick thus far. I had another die on its own but the first one had a broken leg. I keep seeing stuff on people culling "undesirable" chicks or if they have too many roos. Well undesirable like: some of my silky chicks have 4 toes. I am getting rid of the hen with 4 toes even though i love her as long as as she goes to a good home. Anyways, would or does anyone cull their undesirables or if they have too many roos?
yesterday I culled my fist chick too, she was very sick and I couldn’t see her in pain. I just ✂️ the head off and I don’t know if it’s the most humane but I could not monoxide her or the freezer etc, it was one and done

I took about 5-6 years off of raising chickens. It's all coming back to me. And unfortunately, yesterday we had to cull our little 5-day old brahma that was struggling with respiratory issues. We did all we could do for 3 days, but she was suffering.
Culling is a terrible reality of any farm or ranch. But... it's also the responsible thing to do when an animal is suffering.
My question is, what's everyone's approach to having to cull a chick? I know it's not a great thing to talk about. But, if someone is faced with this, and most of us have been and will be again... It's better to have information.
Some people can't just run to a vet to pay to have them euthanized....
So, what's your best advice??

RIP Madeline! You were a sweet girl!!! I'm sorry we couldn't help you more!!
View attachment 3034656
A pair of clippers can do it in one swift motion.

Back
Top Bottom