Culture Shock

Quote:
Ah, thanks for that....I didn't want to say "someone made an authentic Polish dish...pigs-in-blankets" to someone of Polish heritage and get laughed at....but that's what they were called. Maybe someone also mentioned the Polish name you said, but I don't remember.

I had encountered some of the "oh, you're from downstate, huh?
roll.png
" sentiment soon after moving here, but simply assumed it was based on most of the Long Islanders up here being fellow college students and behaving badly (I'm an older returning student and not prone to any of that), but I found out it runs a little deeper. Apparently, there's this fallacy believed by most people here that upstate people's tax money supports everything downstate, and when I come up here and talk in my downstate accent, I get the
roll.png
action from the natives. Until I moved here, I never thought people believed it, but they do....despite it being not only untrue, but completely reversed (I looked into NYS tax data, printed it out, showed it to someone, and was told "that must be wrong"). So stuff I hear and experience up here I take with a grain of salt....hehe

Quote:
No, no, no... being "out of pocket" has a much deeper meaning than just being unavailable. It means that there will be some lolling about involved as well as a complete lack of regard for responsibilities. When you are "out of pocket" you are at the beach or at the lake or shopping for frivolous things or perhaps even lolling about on the sofa watching soap operas and eating ice cream out of the carton. Being "out of pocket" is a personal holiday from the troubles of the world. It is one of life's joys.
big_smile.png

Ahhh! Thank you mother-dear for the clarification! Lobster Rolls, then.. but Redhen, I am having so much trouble remembering the name of the city/ies where we saw them... we were around the town where the Kennedys house is.. if that helps. The gas stations had these lovely one-serving ice cream cartons... with the fudge and peanuts on top like a sundae.. and served them all with a little plastic spoon... I love actually getting the spoon/fork when it's needed!
big_smile.png

It's a good thing my mom is from Australia... I already knew what the 'boot' is.. and the 'dunny' and the 'rubber' - eraser....
But the funny thing we noticed when we lived in NC... went out to the local diner for lunch a couple times a week... and guys (usually a pair) would come in wearing their camo and such, sit down at the neighboring tables and lean their hunting rifles against the table! Nobody batted an eyelash!
gig.gif

Our rommate/boarder fellow here at the moment.. his name is Aaron... hard for me to even type that.. because everytime anyone says his name they say Erin "Eeeeer-in".. so I think of him as Erin... then I was instant messaging my mom on Yahoo (from only the next room
tongue.png
) and she was trying to say "No it's Aaron!".. well if he wants to be an Aaron, he should say Aaaaaaa-ron!
tongue.gif

It's also really interesting to see.. in the different areas/states.. the different common temperaments of people... in some areas there are those things that get you the eybrow lift.. where in other areas people will laugh along with you.

In Advance, North Carolina, the neighbors actually brought us over a pie! And other welcome gifts! In Boise, Idaho, people would go out of their way to give you directions.. even driving in front of you to your destination.. and even in the city.. people would wave and smile at you as you drive past each other... not knowing you at all!
Here in South Florida.. you better not smile at anyone you don't know! I have never gotten a positive reaction.. LOL!

I moved from Boston to Texas to England to Montana to West Virginia. I'd be here for days if I went into all of the differences!
lol.png
I do insist my kids say ahnt not ant and other randoms things, though.
lol.png

My mom.. will refer to the letter 'H' as 'Heych'... So, of course, I do it too! It sounds better, and I can't remember any other way when I'm about to say 'H'.

Then something that's all me... I say 'Curkurd'
gig.gif
... I could never get my tounge around 'Crooked'... and it's stuck with me
roll.png

Don't have much culture shock when you're military. We're from Georgia, but lived in Utah(twice), Ohio and Colorado. The only weird thing was that in Ohio, iced tea was "seasonal" and we could only get hot tea in the winter.

Quote:
It's not bad, if you're referring only to one brand of cola.

In this part of Alabama, when you ask what kind of coke you have, the store owner will answer things like Dr. Pepper, Sunkist Orange, Pepsi, Sprite, etc. Here ALL soft drinks are called "coke".

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Rusty

Quote:
I find it so weird to hear it "needs fixed" or "it needs cleaned". Not all parts of the state use this kind of grammar. I am originally from the southeastern part of the state and NO ONE talked like that. We didn't say, "it's all" either. I also hear "I got that wrote down here somewhere." Whaaaattttt?????!!!
Then there are the infamous "bed clothes." Okaaaayyyyy... are they pjamas or sheets or blankets or what????!!!!! I still don't know, not that I care because I won't use the term anyway.

In my old hometown we ate hoagies and webbers. Here it's subs and cheesesteaks in the garden.
I've also noticed if you weren't born and raised here you are an "outsider" even if you lived here for 50 years!
gig.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom