Cut chicken throat

Chickychops77

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2020
Some how our chickens throat got cut open. What do we do? And what bedding is best in the dog crate? Thank you for your help We used vetericyn wound and antimicrobial hydrogel to clean and cover the wound.

Attachments

• IMG_8997.jpg
    IMG_8997.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Some how our chickens throat got cut open. What do we do? And what bedding is best in the dog crate? Thank you for your help
Looks like flesh wound, but a better picture would be helpful.

Most people use a towel in a dog crate, but you can use whatever you choose.

How deep is the cut? Are there any sharp edges, wires, or nails in your coop? What do you have for cleaning a wound? I would use Vetericyn hydrogel spray or 2% chlorhexidene twice a day, and cover it with plain Neosporin ointment. Bedding should be a clean towel or puppy pads over padding. Is she having any trouble breathing or drinking?

She doesn't seem to have trouble breathing but she is swallowing a lot. We cleaned it with vetericyn wound and antimicrobial hydrogel. It says to do that a couple times a day. Does that sound good. Tried to take some better pictures. Thanks again friends for your help. We have no idea how she got this I made sure there are no wires or anything sharp in the coop, I am a very worry wort chicken mother, so sad this happened.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 8
She did eat food from my husbands hand should I force her to drink, she doesn't seem to want the water but she might just be overwhelmed with all the attention.

Back
Top Bottom