Daddy's chick

Genetix

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2020
Hi there, so I've been raising one chick only to have experience, and were both attached to each other, also she has that lump crop, checking if it should go down tommorow morning. Every move worries me though
1612003592917414274992822122398.jpg

Very cute!!!

Its crop should be empty, yes. And don't worry - we've all been new chick owners. I remember freaking out with every sneeze and head shake and weird poop... That's one thing BYC is great for: calming those fears!

From experience, I STRONGLY suggest getting another chick or 2. They don't do well on their own. My solo chick ended up a little neurotic and has had nothing but problems socializing when added to more chickens later. LOTS of problems. I will NEVER raise one by itself again.

Very cute!!!

Its crop should be empty, yes. And don't worry - we've all been new chick owners. I remember freaking out with every sneeze and head shake and weird poop... That's one thing BYC is great for: calming those fears!

From experience, I STRONGLY suggest getting another chick or 2. They don't do well on their own. My solo chick ended up a little neurotic and has had nothing but problems socializing when added to more chickens later. LOTS of problems. I will NEVER raise one by itself again.
I did raise another one, the problem is i think this chick on my shoulder is going to be a fighting cock, it pecks at the other one, and it even scares my cat away

Very cute!!!

Here's hoping the lump/crop is going to go down tommorow morning

I did raise another one, the problem is i think this chick on my shoulder is going to be a fighting cock, it pecks at the other one, and it even scares my cat away
They are only "fighting cocks" if you raise them to be. Otherwise, they're just chickens, and isolating it won't help its chances of being normally socialized. Too early to tell if it's male or female, anyway. My top hen showed all of those traits as a chick. She still scares everything away - even my rooster.

But you do you, I guess. You'd be hard pressed to find an experienced chicken owner who'd disagree with me, I think.

They are only "fighting cocks" if you raise them to be. Otherwise, they're just chickens, and isolating it won't help its chances of being normally socialized. Too early to tell if it's male or female, anyway. My top hen showed all of those traits as a chick. She still scares everything away - even my rooster.

But you do you, I guess. You'd be hard pressed to find an experienced chicken owner who'd disagree with me, I think.
Will do, but is it alright if the chicks have an age gap like if it's having a week older?

Will do, but is it alright if the chicks have an age gap like if it's having a week older?
It should be fine. It's when you have 3-week age gaps that things get tricky.

Goid luck! I think you'll be happier, too. It's so much fun to watch chickens interact. And your chick will still love you!

I feel that!!! 🤣😂😂😂🤣

I moved out to a very rural, wooded area that is chocked full with predators. The first few nights after I put them in the new coop, I slept in the livingroom with the window open so I'd hear anything. I feel silly now!

Before I added 3 bantams to my flock of big girls, I brooded the littles inside for 8 weeks because I was terrified my big girls would hurt them. Those bantams aren't even at the bottom of the pecking order. The poor girl who was raised solo is.

And I'm getting new ducks in a couple of weeks. It's my first go raising ducks. I know I'll be a mess, too. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom