Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

A big fat ZERO, unless you count the 5 banty eggs that I found in the ducks sleeping quarters this morning. My little banty Lulu squeezes through the fence, escapes the chicken area, and hangs out with the ducks. Now she is laying eggs in their house...LOL

Last edited:
I've been getting 1 egg a day all winter, not sure from who tho lol
thumbsup.gif
ones better than none.

Yes that's true! Ever since its been cold tho they like to play let's hide the egg and lay them in random spots. Lol
Well that's keep ya warm when out side ,beating the bushes looking for them.
smile.png
I think I have plugged all places here where mine can climb under or in between to lay so they finally gave up and lay inside.

Well, the brush pile has been cleared, and TWO nests uncovered. One with 18 eggs, one with 4. What's funny is the one with 18 in it was just inches away from where I could manage to look under there.

We shooed the ducks out of the pen into the backyard, after putting the dogs in their crates. We didn't need dog assistance on this job.

This is the brush pile after we'd been clearing the left side of it for about 15 minutes. This was going to go in the spring, then we wound up having unexpected ducks. They seemed to like it, but it really took up a lot of room in their pen. Plus, eggs.

This nest had 18 eggs in it. Layers of eggs. Three deep. Completely out of sight under the pile. NO IDEA how long these have been here.

This nest only had 4 in it, but was COMPLETELY under the pile. No way we could have seen these without shifting the whole mess. Again, no idea how long these have been under there.

The pen now. I've moved their food and water away from the fence so the dogs don't drink the duck water, and have placed the old sandbox in the middle to get them used to it. That will be their little pond once winter goes away. The dog house will be replaced by a proper duck house sometime before the babies get here in April.

One of my border collies, Ares, inspecting the newly improved pen.

I gave them lots of peas to make up for all the trauma.

All in all, it took us about 2 hours, including the trip to Grammy's farm to dump off all of the brush. I feel much better about the pen now. I felt like a bad duck mom having that big "pile-o-trash" inside their pen. Now, they have more room, their pen will be easier to clean, and I'll finally be able to find their eggs.

Well, the brush pile has been cleared, and TWO nests uncovered. One with 18 eggs, one with 4. What's funny is the one with 18 in it was just inches away from where I could manage to look under there.

We shooed the ducks out of the pen into the backyard, after putting the dogs in their crates. We didn't need dog assistance on this job.

This is the brush pile after we'd been clearing the left side of it for about 15 minutes. This was going to go in the spring, then we wound up having unexpected ducks. They seemed to like it, but it really took up a lot of room in their pen. Plus, eggs.

This nest had 18 eggs in it. Layers of eggs. Three deep. Completely out of sight under the pile. NO IDEA how long these have been here.

This nest only had 4 in it, but was COMPLETELY under the pile. No way we could have seen these without shifting the whole mess. Again, no idea how long these have been under there.

The pen now. I've moved their food and water away from the fence so the dogs don't drink the duck water, and have placed the old sandbox in the middle to get them used to it. That will be their little pond once winter goes away. The dog house will be replaced by a proper duck house sometime before the babies get here in April.

One of my border collies, Ares, inspecting the newly improved pen.

I gave them lots of peas to make up for all the trauma.

All in all, it took us about 2 hours, including the trip to Grammy's farm to dump off all of the brush. I feel much better about the pen now. I felt like a bad duck mom having that big "pile-o-trash" inside their pen. Now, they have more room, their pen will be easier to clean, and I'll finally be able to find their eggs.
Wow ya'll did a great job of cleaning that brush out of there. I bet your ducks are loving having all that space. although they no longer have an egg hiding place but now you get to reap the benefits. your ducks are lovely too. And looks like you have the makings of an LGD. lol

Wow ya'll did a great job of cleaning that brush out of there. I bet your ducks are loving having all that space. although they no longer have an egg hiding place but now you get to reap the benefits. your ducks are lovely too. And looks like you have the makings of an LGD. lol

LOL yes, he finds the ducks fascinating. My service dog will charge the fence because she's trying to herd them, but old Ares just wants to watch them all day.

And thanks! I wasn't looking forward to clearing that out. After that, building a house will be a piece of cake.

Well that's keep ya warm when out side ,beating the bushes looking for them. :)   I think I have plugged all places here where mine can climb under or in between to lay so they finally gave up and lay inside.

Oh no they do lay in the house lol but random places buried in shavings. With the house being so long sometimes it takes forever to dig around and find them! They were at one point faithfully using same corner.

Oh no they do lay in the house lol but random places buried in shavings. With the house being so long sometimes it takes forever to dig around and find them! They were at one point faithfully using same corner.
Oh well good, I know I have to use the pitch fork when mine start laying boy they can sure hide them well can't they. lol

Back
Top Bottom