d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Boggy Bottom Bantams, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Now let me explain something Aubrey...there ain't nothing wrong with a mutt. In a few short months you will see a Mutt in the White House pecking this Country back into shape. The Delawegger, Junebug, already has 7 votes for President and she is gaining momentum. Just wait until the rain stops when she can get on her bicycle and start public speaking....then those MEN can kiss the election good bye I'm telling ya, to meet Junebug is to love Junebug!

Speaking of which, I heard a rumor that an incubator in North GA is about to heat up. I think said bator should have some June and Ike eggs in it...Junebug needs some sisters to fill the various other top government seats later this year.

I believe Rufus will love Rose and Blossom...and he might also get a project d'uccle that is split to lavender already. His harem is growing up while we wait for stable weather for a trip down to Georgia! I had to leave Rufus giving me this look because she would not let him come with me ( see pic to the left on the photobar)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ga...p://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/5556401

My Menagerie' has no policy against hairy legs....I have an Orp cross from GA with hair between her toes. I take in all the oddities who are treated unfairly and not loved properly. *looking at Cynthia and JJ* [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you asking me to put some of June's eggs in the bator, Ms. Ladyhawk? Are you sure you want another politician chicken?

I think Rufus would love Rose and Blossom and I think they'd love him, too. He is quite the studly little man. He is the only grown rooster I've ever had who literally begs to be picked up (though not by me, usually)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    ummmm yes I think a few of those falling into the bator is a worthy cause and a smart political move...but for God's sake keep Tom away from them! He is worse than I am at spoiling them. You know I will take any girl Delaweggers that hatch. :)

4. schuloger

schuloger Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Middle TN
    Aubrey you missed a good show this weekend, you should have come on up.

I think we had a total of 108 show up in the d'Anver side.
    Total of 1800 birds also I believe.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    aint a bad showin for just the d'anvers. Wish I could have come, but I'm swamped here getting ready for breeding season. Finally got to tear down 3 massive old pens and get them out of the way. Now I have room for all the call duck pen I need to make as well as a new 48 stall bantam run for the ohikis.... got to get all that done, the clocks ticking... Wish I had of had time to go, would enjoy meeting everyone there.
    Tom's the only one I have met personally, and that's because he stopped by on his way to Jacksonville FL a couple times dropping off and picking up birds.

Also had a special need boy come by today, he had been dying to see all the birds. Bet we spent 2-3 hours out there looking over everything. He had been looking forward to it for weeks, and driving his mom crazy about it I think. Believe he'd of moved in with me if we offered. He has a really great mother and it was nice spending the evening with them here and showing him all the birds....

6. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Picture time

Three different shades out of my Millie x Porcelain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two white x silver quail

[​IMG]

Two blue silver quail

[​IMG]

7. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    nice lookin chicks

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    JJ those chicks look like more oddities to me, best to send them here to the Menagerie' I think. [​IMG] They all look beautiful, healthy and like fat little buggers. Well done and Congrats. The silvers and porcelains are adorable!

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Aubrey you are such a darling guy. I do not have near the birds you have but I have done the same thing with 2 children my husband was acquainted with (their siblings were his cadets/students). It really amazes me the simple joys that can be given to a child with some time and a friendly chicken or duck. Really warms your heart to watch their face light up and fill with wonder doesn't it?

The best part and was wondering if you took notice of it...the animals seem to know and understand the difference in movement, actions and behavior and modify their own in response. My birds become very calm and seem to not want to scare the child. The roo in my avatar while being a sweetie was very very calm allowing them to touch him and play with his wattles. Even my horse becomes very calm and willing to stand very still for as long as it takes. She even lets them play with her ears which is one thing she has no love of at all. Did you notice a change in some of the birds as if they just instinctively knew?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Yep I see that every time. My yard dog, a big chocolate lab, is the best at it. She likes to sit in front of them and stick her paw up to shake. Then she'll stay right there with them all day, very sweat girl. Did notice some bird difference, no d'anver flogging for one. He mainly wanted to see the strutting peacocks and wild turkeys. They put on a show for him. Got a wild spaulding green peacock, who hates everything. He let us get within a few feet of him in full display, usually only I can get that close to him and then just with food.... So yes they know. It was great to see how much they both enjoyed it all. Told them to come back in March when everything is green and the birds are displaying better...hope they do.... I enjoy it as much as they do.

JJ, those first 3 look like 2 porcelain and what will be a pale mille ( one of the more orangish looking ones) They are looking good..

Had what I hope is a lavender silver hatch today, still wet, cant tell what for sure til it drys, but it's lavender for sure, and came from that project pen, just hope it got the quail pattern too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by