Pics

shelbylewis

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
SJ New Jersey
This is my first time hatching eggs. I had my humidity way too high for the beginning of incubation due to my incubator humidity percentage reading way lower than it actually was. It wasn’t until about day 12 that I realized the humidity was WAY too high. I quickly emptied the incubator of all water and it is now day 18. Air cells are still much smaller than I believe they should be on day 18 and I am just wondering if there is anything at all I can possibly do at this point. Also, has anyone had success in hatching eggs with smaller air cells? Praying these babies make it out okay! I’ll post pics of where I marked my air cells tonight.

Attachments

• 6FA623A2-1C20-469D-B63D-66BEBBF1733C.jpeg
    6FA623A2-1C20-469D-B63D-66BEBBF1733C.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 408
  • D28BC99E-210A-4AD8-B323-FC1795ED177B.jpeg
    D28BC99E-210A-4AD8-B323-FC1795ED177B.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 168
Have you candled them, do you see any movement? Those are pretty small air cells, alright but give them a chance they may do alright, just don't know until they start to pip. The last 3 days of incubation I'd only have the humidity around 40%. It's too late in the game to try and get enough moisture to evaporate from the eggs.
I've had chicks hatch at 35% humidity, so give them a chance.

Agree with the others.

The chicks may hatch a little more wet than normal. Watch for excess goo around the beak and eyes. Sometimes it can harden like glue! it’s usually easy enough to deal with on the body later, but keep a watch on the nostrils and eyes.

I’d also suggest some rubber shelf liner or similar under the eggs on the grate.

Good luck!! How many eggs and what breed are you hatching??

is it
Have you candled them, do you see any movement? Those are pretty small air cells, alright but give them a chance they may do alright, just don't know until they start to pip. The last 3 days of incubation I'd only have the humidity around 40%. It's too late in the game to try and get enough moisture to evaporate from the eggs.
I've had chicks hatch at 35% humidity, so give them a chance.
Thank you so much for replying! I have candled a bit up until day 18 and saw a lot of movement, however since the chick now fills up most of the egg its hard to see anything but the air cell.

@WVduckchick Thank you!! I unfortunately lost my favorite hen to a hawk a few weeks ago, her last egg that she laid that day was my reason for wanting to incubate any eggs at all. I put 6 in total, and only 4 made it to day 18 so far. My roo is an ayam cemani and to be honest with you I am not totally sure what my hens are, I will post a picture and maybe someone on this thread will know!

Agree with the others.

The chicks may hatch a little more wet than normal. Watch for excess goo around the beak and eyes. Sometimes it can harden like glue! it’s usually easy enough to deal with on the body later, but keep a watch on the nostrils and eyes.

I’d also suggest some rubber shelf liner or similar under the eggs on the grate.

Good luck!! How many eggs and what breed are you hatching??

That was my Lucy girl :-( not sure what breed she was!

Attachments

• IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    856 KB · Views: 164

Back
Top Bottom