DAY 18 SMALL AIR CELLS PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelbylewis, Nov 14, 2018.

1. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    This is my first time hatching eggs. I had my humidity way too high for the beginning of incubation due to my incubator humidity percentage reading way lower than it actually was. It wasn’t until about day 12 that I realized the humidity was WAY too high. I quickly emptied the incubator of all water and it is now day 18. Air cells are still much smaller than I believe they should be on day 18 and I am just wondering if there is anything at all I can possibly do at this point. Also, has anyone had success in hatching eggs with smaller air cells? Praying these babies make it out okay! I’ll post pics of where I marked my air cells tonight.

Attached Files:

starri33 and MROO like this.
  2. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    please someone help :-(

MROO likes this.
  3. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Have you candled them, do you see any movement? Those are pretty small air cells, alright but give them a chance they may do alright, just don't know until they start to pip. The last 3 days of incubation I'd only have the humidity around 40%. It's too late in the game to try and get enough moisture to evaporate from the eggs.
    I've had chicks hatch at 35% humidity, so give them a chance.

MROO, KikiLeigh02, JaeG and 3 others like this.
  4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    3x 007 Sean....don't despair yet, they may be just fine.
    I'd remove all water until you get a pip, then bump up the humidity.

007Sean, MROO, KikiLeigh02 and 3 others like this.
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Agree with the others.

The chicks may hatch a little more wet than normal. Watch for excess goo around the beak and eyes. Sometimes it can harden like glue! it’s usually easy enough to deal with on the body later, but keep a watch on the nostrils and eyes.

I’d also suggest some rubber shelf liner or similar under the eggs on the grate.

Good luck!! How many eggs and what breed are you hatching??

007Sean, MROO, KikiLeigh02 and 2 others like this.
  7. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    is it
    Thank you so much for replying! I have candled a bit up until day 18 and saw a lot of movement, however since the chick now fills up most of the egg its hard to see anything but the air cell.

MROO likes this.
  8. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    @WVduckchick Thank you!! I unfortunately lost my favorite hen to a hawk a few weeks ago, her last egg that she laid that day was my reason for wanting to incubate any eggs at all. I put 6 in total, and only 4 made it to day 18 so far. My roo is an ayam cemani and to be honest with you I am not totally sure what my hens are, I will post a picture and maybe someone on this thread will know!

9. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    That was my Lucy girl :-( not sure what breed she was!

Attached Files:

MROO and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  10. shelbylewis

shelbylewis Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    SJ New Jersey
    Also, this was just candled today and doesn't look right to me, what does everyone else think? If this is a goner, that makes only 3 out of 6 left so far :hit IMG_1808.jpg

KikiLeigh02 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: