Day 6 candling

Ok here is a pic of the saddle air bag it's been 23 full days. Also pics of the other duck eggs ..... one was cracked so I put wax on it ( from day one of incubation.I don't believe the membrane was broken) all eggs have movement.... please let me know if you see any concerns.... super nervous for my daughter bc I would hate for her too loose any more eggs!

Attachments

• 20220525_204811.jpg
    20220525_204811.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204850.jpg
    20220525_204850.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204231.jpg
    20220525_204231.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204255.jpg
    20220525_204255.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204401.jpg
    20220525_204401.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204448.jpg
    20220525_204448.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204636.jpg
    20220525_204636.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204435.jpg
    20220525_204435.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204710.jpg
    20220525_204710.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_204728.jpg
    20220525_204728.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 1
if you can see veins, I would wait longer, it cant hurt to give it another day or two.
What day is it on now?
Whenever I do an eggtopsy (thats what people call it) I approach it as though doing an assisted hatch, incase the chick is alive. I follow this article Assisted hatching article

But don't attempt this if you see veins, give it a bit longer. If by any chance she is still alive, she is not ready to hatch- based on how much space there is in the egg and how small the air cell is.
The link help alot thanks!

Any insight would be great.... was the chick shrinked wrapped?
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
I know the membrane looks a little dry, but there's a lot of liquid in the egg. It is very rare for an un-pipped egg to shrink wrap- it would require extremely low humidity throughout incubation- with the amount of liquid inside of the egg, it would be possible that humidity was actually too high.
But I'm not sure this was the case, in my opinion I think the chick was gone by day 20 which accounts for the liquid left in the egg. Now, mind you, I have only incubated quail and ducks personally, so day 19-20 is a guess. The air cell never dropped, the chick had never internally pipped, there was nothing really that could have been done.
I'm not sure of the ultimate cause of death, did you see anything abnormal, any deformity?

Ok here is a pic of the saddle air bag it's been 23 full days. Also pics of the other duck eggs ..... one was cracked so I put wax on it ( from day one of incubation.I don't believe the membrane was broken) all eggs have movement.... please let me know if you see any concerns.... super nervous for my daughter bc I would hate for her too loose any more eggs!
I think I can see what you mean, I wouldn't panic too much yet.
What breed of duck eggs are they? One or two almost look like the air cell is drawing down for hatch. This is a possibility if they're call ducks, as they typically hatch around day 26.
But they still seem to have a way to go, still space in the egg- what is the humidity at?

let me @WVduckchick
She may have better insight on the air cells.

I think they mostly look ok. Just be patient. With at least 5 days to go, they do a lot of growing and changing in the final days.

***And just a note for future incubations, please DO NOT FLOAT TEST developing eggs. I understand that there are folks who believe in it, but I’ve found way too many false negatives, and seen too many people open eggs that are still alive, believing them to be dead, only to lose them unnecessarily. Submersing them in water can cause many more problems that just aren’t worth the risk. Floating them can only prove that they are alive, and absolutely cannot prove that they are dead. But Candling with a good bright light should tell you enough to know whether to ditch it or leave it be!

Good luck with your hatch!

I think they mostly look ok. Just be patient. With at least 5 days to go, they do a lot of growing and changing in the final days.

***And just a note for future incubations, please DO NOT FLOAT TEST developing eggs. I understand that there are folks who believe in it, but I’ve found way too many false negatives, and seen too many people open eggs that are still alive, believing them to be dead, only to lose them unnecessarily. Submersing them in water can cause many more problems that just aren’t worth the risk. Floating them can only prove that they are alive, and absolutely cannot prove that they are dead. But Candling with a good bright light should tell you enough to know whether to ditch it or leave it be!

Good luck with your hatch!
I figured this would be the case, but had so many people tell me in the past that float testing definitely cant mistake living babies for dead! Definitely not going to suggest that again!

I figured this would be the case, but had so many people tell me in the past that float testing definitely cant mistake living babies for dead! Definitely not going to suggest that again!
Here’s the thing… if you float an egg and wait for it to jiggle in the water, then yes, it’s alive! But all the other indicators that are recommended to watch for, such as sinking, cannot “prove” that it’s dead. Just this site alone can provide many examples of sinking eggs that contained a live chick. On the flip side, floating does not necessarily mean it’s alive. The egg has to be left floating long enough to jiggle and the longer it stays wet, the worse that is on the shell.
In essence, my position is that candling is much more accurate and safe. If someone isn’t sure, just leave it in the incubator until a more definite candling can be determined.

Again, this is just my opinion. I always say “your egg, your choice”. I just offer my experience for consideration, not as law or judgement of anyones choices.

Back
Top Bottom