Dealing with MG- Opinions PLEASE

So I've been reading about infection bronchitis, and I'm not convinced that's it- we have had a slight drop in egg laying- we avg. 1-5 eggs a day the past several months, Friday we had 4, Saturday we had 3 and not sure how many we have yet today. Also i've read IB involves their uro-genital tract and that deformed or absent shells are a sign/symptom. Our eggs have been normal shelled. ??? Just thinking out loud.

So I've been reading about infection bronchitis, and I'm not convinced that's it- we have had a slight drop in egg laying- we avg. 1-5 eggs a day the past several months, Friday we had 4, Saturday we had 3 and not sure how many we have yet today. Also i've read IB involves their uro-genital tract and that deformed or absent shells are a sign/symptom. Our eggs have been normal shelled. ??? Just thinking out loud.

You're correct about IB. Telltale signs of IB are usually wrinkled eggs and watery whites. Keep in mind that mixing antibiotic soluable powders in water isnt a very effective way treating birds with respiratory diseases. Sick birds rarely drink, if at all. Injecting antibiotics is more effective. Even if they recover, they are still carriers for life. Your other option is to cull and disinfect everything and repopulate in several months, preferably purchasing chicks from a reputable hatchery.
As far as testing goes; you can contact your local extension office for information, or a vet. It would be best to submit your sickest bird for necropsy. Be sure to let us know the test results. Good luck.

Don't cull until you can get a test or tests done. If it is MG I would assume they all are exposed by now. Tylan is amazing for treating the symptoms with MG. I do believe MG is abundant in many many flocks and goes rampant in poultry shows.....and people really are ignorant to it or turn a blind eye. It is also something that many responsible animal owners become aware of too late. I just went through 2 weeks of MG nightmare here
1f622.png

If you have a state veterinary school, there will be someone to talk to and a path lab for testing. Check with your state vet school, or the state veterinarian, or your county extension agent, and find the closest place for actual testing. So sorry! mary

If you have one not eating and drinking I would 100% try a shot of Tylan 50 or 200...Sq or oral. If it's MG you will know by the next morning. It was THAT effective on my chickens

I had a rooster on deaths door. This was just a desperate attempt on my part. Not a recommendation. I gave the denaguard in the water with molasses because the med. is bitter. Because the roo was so sick it wasnt drinking much. I gave him 1cc of tylan for 3 days With the denaguard. I was very happy to see improvement within 2 days. But I continued the denaguard for another week. For the ones drinking the denaguard is better by far. No hurt muscles, no struggling to hold and give the shot and no extra stress on the chickens. Note this is a large fowl rooster. guessing around 9 lbs.

Excellent.
I had definite MG and in all but a couple birds I saw birds go from gasping to not, or gurgling to none in 12 hours. But I used Tylan 200...0.2 cc subcutaneous. Was a miracle but I don't know what strain it was

that is true. some hens might lay soft shelled eggs for a while. with acv, garlic, herbs, etc. mine got back to normal. it might take 2 weeks to 2-3 months.

some of my chickens had blocked nostrils and could not breathe properly for a week, some were coughing and sneezing but laying eggs almost every day,, 1 layed softshelled eggs only and 1 stopped laying without any other symptoms. my 2 white leghorns had no symptoms at all but they are not good layers - obviously they got infected by a virus. they were about 10 weeks old when I had IB in the flock.

I dropped our sickest bird off at the state labs closest site but they will have to ship samples to the main lab tomorrow. The vet there said if it is myco, then I will get a visit from the state. :-( If my birds all have to be put down, I can and will do it myself. Myco isn't dangerous to people, so it'd be a shame to waste all the meat.

For those following: The preliminary findings from the vet that I dropped the bird off with- my bird looked very healthy- no pneumonia, bronchitis, not even any parasites. Said all her organs, lungs etc looked good but he's sending her trachea to the state lab to see what they find and he'll call me as soon as he hears something, expects it to take a day or 2.

SO now I'm googling tracheas. Noticed one of my other hens kept trying repeatedly to clear her throat....

Back
Top Bottom