DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!😊

Pics
Well, as of this morning (out of 11) we are up to six external pips, three internal, and two I strongly suspect of being late quitters. Shockingly, the video feed has NOT crapped out yet. I'm sure it will thirty minutes after I leave home for work, and can't possibly reset it, as it always does. I'm going to try and escape work early because I would like to be able to band just after hatching so I can keep track of which egg produced what. I'm also taking notes, to appease my sciencey little brain...View attachment 2438670

This is something like my 30th hatch, I dont know why I feel such a need to micro-manage...

I hear you! I compile my notes in a spreadsheet 🤣
Hatch log.JPG

So my eggs are in a carton with the bottoms cut out and I turn them every three hours. However because the carton juuuuust fits into the incubator I made, I’m thinking about taking it out and just placing the eggs on their side. However, that would mean setting the eggs on the screen which is holding up the fan, and the fan moves the screen juuuuuust a little with vibration. Will that cause issues with the eggs?

So my eggs are in a carton with the bottoms cut out and I turn them every three hours. However because the carton juuuuust fits into the incubator I made, I’m thinking about taking it out and just placing the eggs on their side. However, that would mean setting the eggs on the screen which is holding up the fan, and the fan moves the screen juuuuuust a little with vibration. Will that cause issues with the eggs?
Is there a specific reason you are incubating in the carton? Like saddled air sacks? If not, what kind of incubator do you have that the fan is underneath? Pictures or model number would be helpful.

Thing Three (Yellow) and Thing Four (Black) just exited shells w/i minutes of each other, to join Thing One and Thing Two. Picture to follow, once they are warm and dry.

That brings Incubation success to 33%. Two were infertile (16%). The remaining six are still in the Incubator, but only two seems to have large enough dark spots to be a chick (shells are quite dark, hard to candle). Will Eggtopsy in a few days, then clean things up, and start again.

Sooo I have two pips out of the remaining five eggs. I’m pretty concerned because they only slightly broke the shell this morning. I’m not even sure if the membrane is punctured. I’ve seen no new evidence of them still working apart the shell since then. I also don’t want to open up the incubator. :/ I think I’m also gonna lose the small white chick. He’s the only one still with his egg tooth and he seems to have gotten weaker. I’ve dipped his bill in the water but he seems to have trouble swallowing and I haven’t seen eat. He’s also gotten pasty butt. I’ve cleaned it but Im not super hopeful.

Things One thru Four, not in order. There may be a Thing Five, Monday. That will be the last of the 12. Eggtopsies on the others then, except the two infertile, those were easy.

Left to right, that's Four, Two (lower), One (upper), Three. All the same sire.

None wanted to face the camera. May your hatches be better than mine!

20201206_172630.jpg

Back
Top Bottom