Grey Gables

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Ohio
Tried searching for a breakdown between the two and didn’t find anything… so apologies if this is a repeat.

What are the differences between a Delaware and Columbian Wyandotte (hen)? Visually they look very similar. I’m sure there are small characteristics that make it obvious which is which. Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks!

Fairly certain Delaware have single combs, and Wyandotte are supposed to have pea combs. The pattern is different too, Delaware usually have less black markings. Shape is also different. Wyandottes are rather wide birds and delawares usually are a bit more proportionate.

Not to mention the obvious difference in breeds and history

Thanks for the info everyone! :)

I have a 17-18 week old Delaware and was starting to doubt if she was a true Delaware. Her comb has never really developed. I've never had a chicken with a pea comb or rose comb so I'm not sure how they look on a pullet when they're developing. But I don't think hers looks like either comb. She has a single small little nodule looking thing toward the top that looks like her comb thought about coming in, then changed its mind, ha. She did battle some illness at a couple weeks old and it seems like it delayed her growth for awhile. She's healthy now and growing (slowly), but she's definitely the smallest 17/18 week old pullet I've had.

I don't really care what she is, I just want to make sure I'm educated and not calling her something that she's not. :thumbsup

Sorry - not the best pics!

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 4.11.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 4.14.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 4.12.00 PM.png

Adding:
I looked up photos of 17 week old pullets of both breeds and now I'm wondering if she's more Columbian Wyandotte, just based on feathers/coloring.. ? But I will explore body shape and see what makes sense. I've never had either (Delaware or a Wyandotte, so I just don't have any personal knowledge to base this off of).

Last edited:
She is a Wyandotte. That is a rose comb. It is so smooth because she is young and not totally developed. And you are right about the coloring. The funny nodule is the spike. An inverted spike (which is what it is looking like but I'm not 100% sure) is a disqualification in shows but doesn't harm the bird in any way. However, it is somewhat uncommon which is why you were probably unfamiliar.

Thanks for the info everyone! :)

I have a 17-18 week old Delaware and was starting to doubt if she was a true Delaware. Her comb has never really developed. I've never had a chicken with a pea comb or rose comb so I'm not sure how they look on a pullet when they're developing. But I don't think hers looks like either comb. She has a single small little nodule looking thing toward the top that looks like her comb thought about coming in, then changed its mind, ha. She did battle some illness at a couple weeks old and it seems like it delayed her growth for awhile. She's healthy now and growing (slowly), but she's definitely the smallest 17/18 week old pullet I've had.

I don't really care what she is, I just want to make sure I'm educated and not calling her something that she's not. :thumbsup

Sorry - not the best pics!

View attachment 2791803View attachment 2791805View attachment 2791802

Adding:
I looked up photos of 17 week old pullets of both breeds and now I'm wondering if she's more Columbian Wyandotte, just based on feathers/coloring.. ? But I will explore body shape and see what makes sense. I've never had either (Delaware or a Wyandotte, so I just don't have any personal knowledge to base this off of).
She look like a Delaware to me. Her legs are nice and yellow. I have a Delaware pullet, two Columbiaan Wyandotte hens and a silver laced Wyandotte (among other breeds). They are beautiful wise and sweet birds.

Back
Top Bottom