Denagard Dosage

Pics

davepinkham

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Hello all! It's my first post, though I've been reading the forums for a year and half now.

I'm creating this thread because we've been using Denagard for our flock at the dosage I've seen recommended here several times: 16 ml/gallon treatment, 8 ml/gallon preventative dosage. It has definitely worked, though we've had difficulty keeping our birds water consumption up with the horrid tasting Denagard. Sugar and juice concentrates abound!

This led me to do further research on the dosage and I found the Novartis "non-US" site which gives the amount 2 ml/liter treatment and 1 ml/liter preventative. By my math (with the help of Google), 1 gallon equals ~3.79 liters. That should be 3.79 ml/gallon preventative and 7.58 ml/gallon treatment, or rounding up, 4 & 8 ml respectively.

That is half what is frequently recommended! Am I making a glaring error here? That would explain why it tastes so bad.
Please chime in!

Here's the link:
http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/en/denagard_12sol_poultry.shtml

Dave

Chickens:
  • Prevention of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sacculitis: 12.5 mg tiamulin hydrogen fumarate / kg bodyweight
  • Treatment of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sacculitis: 25 mg tiamulin hydrogen fumarate / kg bodyweight
Turkeys:
  • Prevention of infectious sinusitis and air sacculitis: 12.5 mg tiamulin hydrogen fumarate / kg bodyweight
  • Treatment of infectious sinusitis and air sacculitis: 25 mg tiamulin hydrogen fumarate / kg bodyweight

Indications

Tiamulin (concentration in water in %)

Product
(in ml)

Water
(in liters)

Treatment
(in days)
Prevention CRD / air sacculitis / infectious sinusitis

3 days (1st week of life); 1-2 days every 3-4 weeks
Treatment CRD / air sacculitis / infectious sinusitis

3 – 5

Sounds like 1 ml of product per liter for prevention, and 2ml of product per liter for treatment. So it sounds like you're right.

Last edited:
Below is info I've researched & used when dosing my birds. I've usually given a Tetracycline med concurrently also when I've given Denagard, in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations on their site.

One of the more powerful meds for Mycoplasmas.
*Eggs are safe to eat.
Meat withdrawal: 2-5 days.
*Synergizes with Tetracylines, increasing effectives of meds, & also helping prevent E. Coli (which is possible problem after broad antibiotics).
*Don't combine with high doses of the anticoccidials monensin, narasin, or salinomycin.
*Not approved for poultry in US.

*Tastes bad. If giving in drinking water, add sweetener (preferably Xylitol or 100% juice; sugar is another option). If in food, mix in tasty mash. Check to make sure each bird still eats & drinks enough. Can divide dose into food & water to help ensure consumption.*Daily dose must be given gradually over time--NOT all at once nor in a single meal. Do NOT give undiluted or bird's system may react with extreme gagging or other symptoms.

Dose for CRD prevention: 1/2 the "treatment" dose; recommendations about # of days vary.
Reassuring note: Bacteria strains susceptible to Denegard are not able to build resistance very easily, even with underdosing or overly frequent dosing, (though over-use may imbalance bird's body other ways).

Denegard 12.5% Liquid dose:
For CRD treatment: 250 mg per litre drinking water [1/10 tsp (.55 cc) per average chicken] doses all ages at 25 mg/kg. Treat chicken for 3-5 days, or turkey for 5 days. Birds should show improvement in 1-2 days. Possibly continue treatment once/ month for a year.

Hi SpeckledHills,
Thank for replying. I'm curious how you converted 250 mg to tsp since mg is a measure of mass and tsp is measure of volume. Also, it seems odd that a dosage for a liquid would be given in mg to begin with -- are you sure that's not for the powdered version of Denagard? I've only seen it available as liquid form here in the States.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi SpeckledHills,
Thank for replying. I'm curious how you converted 250 mg to tsp since mg is a measure of mass and tsp is measure of volume. Also, it seems odd that a dosage for a liquid would be given in mg to begin with -- are you sure that's not for the powdered version of Denagard? I've only seen it available as liquid form here in the States.

Thanks,
Dave
Liquid Baytril is 100mg/ml, 50mg/ml and 22.7mg/ml
Tylosin (Tylan50 and 200) are 50mg/ml and 200mg/ml
9.6% Corid and Amprol liquid are 96mg/ml
10% Safeguard liquid is 100mg/ml
Valbazen is 113.6 mg/mL

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom