Denagard Dosage

Pics
Here is an example - Safeguard (100mg/ml) for a 5 pound chicken at 50mg/kg is:
5 / 2.2 x 50 / 100 = 1.14 ml, which is 0.23 teaspoons. It's pretty close to 1/4 teaspoon,

but I am not comfortable making that decision for people.

And what if I made a typo and wrote 1/4 tablespoon instead? Some people might see

the error right away, but many people just like being told how much to give.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Denagard label in Europe: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/contents/novartis/novartis_poultry1.pdf

From it, I calculated .45 to .55 cc (approx. 1/10 tsp) per 5-lb. adult chicken (less for younger birds) per day.

For drinking water, I estimate a 5-lb chicken drinks about 1 cup of water per day.

I have been unable to get my chickens to take Denagard willingly so I split the dose up so it's 1/20 tsp per c in water and 1/20 tsp in food mash per chicken. I remove all other food until mash is gone.

I add Xylitol to water to improve tastiness. I use tasty foods to make mash.

For those with smaller and/or younger birds, it's 0.09 ml per pound per day, or 0.02 ml per 100 grams per day.

-Kathy

As always, please check my math. :D

Last edited:
I got some rare breed chicks that developed severe respiratory symptoms within the first days of having them. Right or wrong, I gave them denegard at the 8 cc/gallon rate and mixed all their food into a denegard mash too. Within the 5 days treatment suggested, they made a full recovery. I used a syringe to measure the dosage of the cc's or ml's (which are the same thing). I find that to be much more accurate than a tsp. and actually convert from tsp/Tablespoons to ml's/cc's for better accuracy.

I love this stuff. I think it potentiates with any of the cylines and not just tetracycline. I wish I had discovered it sooner.

I got some rare breed chicks that developed severe respiratory symptoms within the first days of having them. Right or wrong, I gave them denegard at the 8 cc/gallon rate and mixed all their food into a denegard mash too. Within the 5 days treatment suggested, they made a full recovery. I used a syringe to measure the dosage of the cc's or ml's (which are the same thing). I find that to be much more accurate than a tsp. and actually convert from tsp/Tablespoons to ml's/cc's for better accuracy.

I love this stuff. I think it potentiates with any of the cylines and not just tetracycline. I wish I had discovered it sooner.
Thanks for sharing!

-Kathy

Which form of tetracycline is recommended for use with Denagard? I have heard both Duramycin-10 in the water, and LA200 injections. If using Duramycin in the water, is it mixed together with the Denagard at the same time in the same water? Is it used at the label dosage for chickens, or at some other dosage? And is it also used for 3-5 days, or longer or shorter (the label recommends 7-14 days, but that is in reference to use by itself, not concurrently with Denagard)?

I plan on starting this medication soon, and just want to get all the details right.

Which form of tetracycline is recommended for use with Denagard? I have heard both Duramycin-10 in the water, and LA200 injections. If using Duramycin in the water, is it mixed together with the Denagard at the same time in the same water? Is it used at the label dosage for chickens, or at some other dosage? And is it also used for 3-5 days, or longer or shorter (the label recommends 7-14 days, but that is in reference to use by itself, not concurrently with Denagard)?

I plan on starting this medication soon, and just want to get all the details right.
I've searched high and low and cannot find this info. Guess I would want to see a credible source before I tried using it with another drug.

-Kathy

I've read that the two medications are synergistic, but everything is off label so recommendations aren't consistent. There is a medication called Tetramutin, made by Novartis, which is a combination of Tiamulin plus chlortetracycline in a 1:3 ratio (by mg wt). It is distributed for chickens in India, and for pigs in several European countries, and possibly elsewhere. I have not found it in the U.S. yet. The dose for chickens for Mycoplasma is listed as 1.0 - 1.5 mg/kg feed for 7 days, which I assume means that 1.0-1.5 mg of the total weight of the drug combination is added to every kg of feed, but there is the potential for miscommunication with these types of combination drugs, as dosages are often expressed on a mg/kg of the primary drugs, not the combination.

Note: This dose is very different than all the other doses that have been recommended, so another reason to question the accuracy.

Last edited:
Additional dosages for Denegard that I have found include:

Adult Poultry: 30 mg/kg by mouth once daily for 7 days
Poultry Chicks: 60 mg/kg by mouth once daily for 7 days
Poultry and pigeons: 225 - 250 mg/liter of drinking water for 3-7 days
Game birds: 300 - 400 mg/kg of feed for 7 days
Poultry Eggs, used as a dip: 1,000 mg/Liter of dip water (there are published techniques for getting medications into eggs via dips -- I think it involves having the water cold and the eggs room temperature, but it's been a long time since I read that and may be remembering it wrong).

Source: Exotic Animal Formulary, 3rd edition, by Carpenter

Casportpony, I have apparently misplaced my more recent edition of Carpenter. Do you have one? If so, is there additional information available from it?

Last edited:
Additional dosages for Denegard that I have found include:

Adult Poultry: 30 mg/kg by mouth once daily for 7 days
Poultry Chicks: 60 mg/kg by mouth once daily for 7 days
Poultry and pigeons: 225 - 250 mg/liter of drinking water for 3-7 days
Game birds: 300 - 400 mg/kg of feed for 7 days
Poultry Eggs, used as a dip: 1,000 mg/Liter of dip water (there are published techniques for getting medications into eggs via dips -- I think it involves having the water cold and the eggs room temperature, but it's been a long time since I read that and may be remembering it wrong).

Source: Exotic Animal Formulary, 3rd edition, by Carpenter

Casportpony, I have apparently misplaced my more recent edition of Carpenter. Do you have one? If so, is there additional information available from it?

The dosage for chicks is higher than the dosage for adults? Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom