Denagard Dosage

Pics
PS I would never have been able to do that without your posts on the how to's of crop feeding!!!!! You're awesome!!!!

Quote: Target dose is no less than 0.09 ml per pound per day.

1 pound - 0.09 ml
2 pounds - 0.18 ml
3 pounds - 0.27 ml
4 pounds - 0.36 ml
5 pounds - 0.45 ml

and so on...

Not sure how well it will work if given just once day, but if that's all you can do, then it is what it is.

@Sydney Acres might have some advice?

-Kathy

I hope it works 1X daily........Its taken me a long time of reading just to see if I can handle doing that many once a day.............is it the crop issues or more of the spreading out the dosage over the time period...

I hope it works 1X daily........Its taken me a long time of reading just to see if I can handle doing that many once a day.............is it the crop issues or more of the spreading out the dosage over the time period...
I'm not really sure... I think some drugs work better when given more often.

-Kathy

Ok, and sadly it makes sense.........I did contact Sydney as you suggested via PM. What a journey.....one would think the medication would at least be something they could drink, eat, or even inject........

Ok, and sadly it makes sense.........I did contact Sydney as you suggested via PM. What a journey.....one would think the medication would at least be something they could drink, eat, or even inject........
They do make an injectable, but I can't figure out how to get my hands on it.

-Kathy

I wasn't sure that my birds had been drinking enough when I put the Denagard in their water and I had seen a bit of head shaking so I decided to re-dose them all and make sure that I did a full 3 days (it was more like 2 1/2 before because I had to go out of town). The method that I tried was mixing the Denagard with egg, milk and bread. I have close to 70 birds in 6 pens so I mixed a separate batch for each pen. I did a half dose twice a day and although they all ate it about as fast as they could the volume was such (and timed after they had all had a chance to eat their regular food) that it seemed that all the birds got a chance to get in there and eat. My one concern was that the roosters often seemed to be calling in the hens and letting them eat and not eating much themselves. A week later I actually noticed a few roosters that had trouble crowing...as if they were WORSE after the Denagard (and one hen was making squeaking noises). So I got some Tylan injectable and treated the worst rooster along with Denagard again. He started crowing better the next morning. The hen died not long after her injection and despite trying to check to make sure that I didn't hit a vein I might have killed her with that injection. The other two roosters I just noticed yesterday so I just gave them the Tylan instead of the Denagard since I'm heading out of town again and wouldn't be able to do the full cycle. I bought a jug of Oxine and had read here on Backyardchickens that in the un-activated form (do NOT add the citric acid or it is highly toxic) that people were spraying/misting it directly over their birds to get them to breathe it in. There were a lot of people claiming that this "cures" reperatory infections (or at least reduces the impact long enough for the birds to fight it off). I tried that last night with a fine spray/mist spray bottle while I threw scratch grains down to get them to stick around while I sprayed over them. It's pretty pricy stuff and you have to get it on-line but it is concentrated so it makes a pretty large volume. I also plan on using the activated form and a fogger/nebulizer to sterilize my incubators and hatcher (outside only because it is very toxic in this form).

I wasn't sure that my birds had been drinking enough when I put the Denagard in their water and I had seen a bit of head shaking so I decided to re-dose them all and make sure that I did a full 3 days (it was more like 2 1/2 before because I had to go out of town). The method that I tried was mixing the Denagard with egg, milk and bread. I have close to 70 birds in 6 pens so I mixed a separate batch for each pen. I did a half dose twice a day and although they all ate it about as fast as they could the volume was such (and timed after they had all had a chance to eat their regular food) that it seemed that all the birds got a chance to get in there and eat. My one concern was that the roosters often seemed to be calling in the hens and letting them eat and not eating much themselves. A week later I actually noticed a few roosters that had trouble crowing...as if they were WORSE after the Denagard (and one hen was making squeaking noises). So I got some Tylan injectable and treated the worst rooster along with Denagard again. He started crowing better the next morning. The hen died not long after her injection and despite trying to check to make sure that I didn't hit a vein I might have killed her with that injection. The other two roosters I just noticed yesterday so I just gave them the Tylan instead of the Denagard since I'm heading out of town again and wouldn't be able to do the full cycle. I bought a jug of Oxine and had read here on Backyardchickens that in the un-activated form (do NOT add the citric acid or it is highly toxic) that people were spraying/misting it directly over their birds to get them to breathe it in. There were a lot of people claiming that this "cures" reperatory infections (or at least reduces the impact long enough for the birds to fight it off). I tried that last night with a fine spray/mist spray bottle while I threw scratch grains down to get them to stick around while I sprayed over them. It's pretty pricy stuff and you have to get it on-line but it is concentrated so it makes a pretty large volume. I also plan on using the activated form and a fogger/nebulizer to sterilize my incubators and hatcher (outside only because it is very toxic in this form).

I use Oxine several nights a week in my coops via humidifiers and vaporizers. Its' great stuff, wish it would just dose all the flock for everything inside too lol. I know my birds weren't drinking enough. They had hard poop within 24 hours after my attempts to use Denegard again. Even making very wet mash and keeping it wet throughout the day.......what a journey.......I would consider trying the mixture you've mentioned in the Silkie pens though...........they do better on the water and mash............it would cut down on how many to tube etc. The roosters......yep......they are more considerate than most men today (no diss, just the way things are in these times LOL) and wait on the ladies. They even make their nests for them and turn into clowns waiting on a new pullet to get the idea :)

Back
Top Bottom